Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DNS Server - how to override just a single host?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Server - how to override just a single host?

Hi,

I have DNS Server installed on 2008 R2. I wish to override the entry for a single server, e.g.

www.domain.com resolves to 192.168.1.50

I don't want to hold the details for the entire domain.com domain, as I want the details to be resolved from the pubic DNS servers. I just want to override one single A entry.

Clearly this would be a candiate for a HOSTS entry, but I want this single host to be overridden for all the clients.

To confirm:

www.domain.com resolves.192.168.1.50
    www1.domain.com resolves to whatever the public DNS returns
    www2.domain.com resolves to whatever the public DNS returns
    www3.domain.com resolves to whatever the public DNS returns
    domain.com MX records resolve to whatever the public DNS returns

Many thanks,

Jim

Re: DNS Server - how to override just a single host?

Why not create a forward lookup zone called domain.com on your internal DNS servers and create a single A record.... www = 192.168.1.50

bio..

Comment

I have....but then the clients assume that's the authoritative zone.

So for example, if I add an entry for www to my domain.com zone then it works fine. But if I then try to access xxx.domain.com it fails, even though xxx exists publicy, becuase I've not also added an entry for xxx. Similarly, I can'tt send emails to that domain from my internal mailserver unless I also add an MX record.

I just want to add a single entry, but it looks like I have to replicate the entire domain.

Jim

Comment

Normally i would not use this but in this situation you can create a local host file on your DNS servers that has this entry.. Haven't tried this but it should work

bio..

Comment

I've actually got this to work.

I thought I'd have to create a zone called domain.com and put an A entry of www into it. However, I've discovered that I can actually create a zone called www.domain.com and then put a blank entry into it, and that does exactly what I need.

Many thanks,

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimwillsher View Post
            I've actually got this to work.

I thought I'd have to create a zone called domain.com and put an A entry of www into it. However, I've discovered that I can actually create a zone called www.domain.com and then put a blank entry into it, and that does exactly what I need.

Many thanks,

Jim
            great !! THX for the feedback

Comment

Working...
            X