Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2008 - My Computer - Add a Network Location

Hi

My name is Glenn, I'm new here, and I got a problem.

I'm on a project, where we are setting up an brand new Windows Server 2008 ASP enviroment, the problem we got, are on the Windows Server 2008 Terminal Servers...

When we are locking down the Terminal Servers, we can't seem to remove the "Add a Network Location" in the "File Context menu" inside "My Computer", it seems that this is one of the few things you can't remove with policy or preferences.

Can anyone help us with this?

Thanks on behalf!

Glenn

Re: Windows Server 2008 - My Computer - Add a Network Location

I haven't found a way to do this either.

Also, it seems none of the network restrictions in W2K3 group policy (no computers near me, no entire network) work either. I also haven't found a way to remove the "uninstall or change a program" item in the Windows Explorer tool bar.

It seems MS missed the boat in W2K8 as far as locking down the network in a TS environment goes.

If I find a way to get any of this working I'll post back the details.

Secondarily, I'm assuming you're using roaming profiles. How are you dealing with the fact that V1 and V2 profiles are not compatible? How are you dealing with creating customized Default user profiles on your W2K8 TS servers?
    Last edited by joeqwerty; 31st October 2009, 15:43.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your post.

I'm running Windows 2008 Active Directory, so I'm using Windows Server 2008 ADMX files, then you can hide the "Uninstall or Change a program"...

When I come back at work on Monday, I can try to find out what kind of regkey you must change to hide the "Uninstall or Change a program" in "My Computer"

Glenn

Comment

Hi again

Sorry for not answering your profile qustion, there are two major issues I had to resolve with the profiles.

The first problem was the problem with the "Redireted Folders", the came up double and tripple, I did a lot of "googling" on this, but I found nobody that solved this issue, this is an issue because of the new v2 profiles, so I made a script that deletes the folders in the "User Profile" folder, these folders are not in use, when you use "Folder Rediretion".

The second problem, is that even if you set the policy that prevent the users in saving files in to their "Profile Root", they are still able to save files to their "Profile Root" from ex. notepad, so I made an logon script that uses ICACLS to set deny permissions on create objects in the "Profile Root", and a logoff script that removed this deny permission.

Hope this helps...

Glenn

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

No problem, if anyone else know how to remove the "Add a Network Location" in the context menu inside "My Computer", please let me know!

I will keep looking for the answer, but not even Microsoft could answer this question at the moment, I used my "Partner Access" (We are Gold Certified Partners), but still no luck...

So please, help me.

Comment

Hi again

For you issue about hiding the "Uninstall or change" button, if I didn't misunderstand you, you can set this:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Uninstall\

NoRemovePage
              dword
              Hide = 1
              Show = 0

Hope this helps...

Anyone got anything on my issue?

Comment

Working...
              X