Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy Domain Extraction?

Hi,

Is there a way to pull XP & Vista systems from a 2008 domain WITHOUT Creating a new profile? In other words I want to transfer the users documents form the server, pull them from the domain and then let them carry on. Outside of having their documents held remotely there isn't much they gain from being domain members i.e. everything else is just like a normal standalone/broadband PC.

If I do it the "proper" way (i.e. properly pull the system from the domain, reboot, new profile etc.) I have to set the entire machine up again ... transfer documents, favourites, email, desktop and so on.

Any ideas?

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Easy Domain Extraction?

Isn't much to gain other than authenticating to everything on the domain.... Do your users use anthing on the domain?
    Thank you,

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by tnshurtm View Post
      Isn't much to gain other than authenticating to everything on the domain.... Do your users use anthing on the domain?
      Thanks for the reply but that's not want I want to know ... it's probably the way I phrased it, my bad

What I want to know is how to remove computers from the domain in the easiest way possible from the client perspective ... the domain is going (it's a home domain and it costs too much to run), I just want to make the extraction as easy as possible on my family.

IOW I want to remove the client from the domain BUT keep the profile ... is that possible?

Cheers

Kyu
      Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 21st October 2009, 16:37.
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

Ensure that you know the local administrator password before removing the computer from the domain. The profile will remain on the laptop, so you could look into creating them a local account and associating it with their old domain profile or copy the domain profile over the profile of the new account.

Comment

Working...
        X