X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello & Adding a 2008R2 DC

Hello Daniel and all on the petri.co.il forums,
    Oh well I have using Daniels' site for several years and
    have seen it grow to a great concise and no bullshit knowledgebase. So now its time to make a contirbution myself.

In prep for forthcoming Win7 I set out to upgrade a to and add a 2008 R2 DC, to a fully functional 2003 domain. I downloaded the 2008R2 from MVLS.
    Next I got all of the pertinent articles together from perti.co.il. I added a few non-related things to the 2008R2 install and the next phase was to 'adprep' the existin domain.

Using the article 'Windows Server 2008 ADPREP' I then realised I needed the 32bit version of 2008 another MVLS download was done. 'adprep' was run and upgraded the schema by adding 32 through to 44 ldf's inclusive. Then I tried dcpromo and got a message saying I had to run adprep, so I went back and run adprep on the 2003 domain again and was told that this had already been done.

At this stage I delved into the 2008R2 DVD and found two versions of adprep in the \support\adprep directory 'adprep32' and 'adprep'. So I then run adprep32 and schema 45 to 47 ldf's inclusive wre added. I then run dcpromo and everything worked as it should, DNS was also added.

Daniel if you get to read this, it may be worth adding some reference to what I found in the pertinent/related articles. There is no doubt that sombody else has been challanged by this occurenece.

Regards
    Paul Ketelaar
    Mackay, Queensland, Australia

Re: Hello & Adding a 2008R2 DC

Thanks for the information. I about to start the same thing soon. Did you have any other issues?

Comment

this is exactly the issue we found last week

you have to run thre R2 adprep, and you have yto run the 32bit adprep on the 32it server :_)
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        Daniel if you get to read this, it may be worth adding some reference to what I found in the pertinent/related articles. There is no doubt that sombody else has been challanged by this occurenece.

Regards
        Paul Ketelaar
        Mackay, Queensland, Australia

Thanks Paul, I will do that!
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Do you need to do both Forest & Domain prep with R2 Version?

Comment

yes, you should do both forest and domain prep
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
            X