Windows Server 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2008

I want to set up my server so that I can use RDS for up to 20 users. I'm currently running Vista and I'm somewhat of a novice when it comes to this but I'd like to get clarity on what exactly I need to accomplish this. Can I just get Terminal Services and add it to my existing server? Do I need to trash Vista and install WS 2008? I have a third party email server I'm running so I can I still use that if I install WS 2008?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Windows Server 2008

Perhaps better. Is terminal services available for vista ultimate for up to 20 user cals that I could run remoteapps with. I'm not sure o need the full blown server software fo my small business.

Comment

Terminal Services are only available on a Server OS.

Yes, you can make a single RDP connection to Windows XP, Vista, and 7, but only one.

If you have 20 users, you're going to need a server with Terminal Services installed and the appropriate Server, Client, and TS licenses.

Comment

Thanks for the information.

If I purchase Windows Server 2008 R2 5 user CALs, will that be enough for at least 5 users? What else will I need? I assume I will have to wipe Vista Ultimate and use WS2008 only.

Why does this look so cheap? http://www.jigantic.com/product-p/S7...tm&Click=20280

Comment

That link looks like it's for the CAL's only and not the server license. Have a look here for the official Microsoft pricing:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/pricing.aspx

In addition, if you're going to install Terminal Services you'll need to purchase TS CAL's as well, as described here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...-terminal.aspx

Comment

Ok, I'm slow but I think I get it.

1. I need to purchase the WS2008R2 that appears to come with 5 CALS. I could buy more CALS if needed.

2. I needs to purchase a 5 CAL RDS user license for the client side that I'd like to do RemoteApps with.

I assume what this means is if I purchased a 20 CAL RDS license I could set up 20 users but the server would only accept 5 RDS connections at a time?

Comment

You almost have it right:

If you have 5 user CAL's and 20 RDS CAL's here is what you get:

5 people could access file and print services (and other services, except RDS)on the server at any time. 20 users could access terminal services and remote apps at any time.

The user CAL's and the RDS CAL's are not mutually inclusive (or exclusive?). They are different CAL's for accessing different functions (or different methods of accessing) the server. AFAIK, you don't need a "matching" number of user and RDS CAL's.

Comment

Working...
              X