Drive partition question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive partition question

I'm going to install a new server in a network. This will be the Primary Domain controller and will store users "My docs"(redirected) and h:/personal files. I'm looking at an HP rack server 1U w/ 4 250 GB drives, 8 GB ram. Options are to configure 4 drives in a single RAID 5 or 2 sets of 2 drives in a mirror. One mirror for the OS and the other for file storage. I'm leaning toward the Raid 5 configuration. OS will be W2k8. A second W2k3 server will be reconfigured as a secondary DC in a remote office.

Any issues/suggestions?

Thanks,

e

Re: Drive partition question

my personal preference is usually a RAID1 system volume, then whatever is appropriate for the rest, whether it be raid10 or raid5..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

This what I would normally do but I'm trying to utilize a 1U server as rack space is limited. The only HP server I've found so far has four hot swap bays. I would have to go to a 5U server to accomodate two drives in Raid 1 and then 3 or four in Raid 5. (I ususally use 3 drives is Raid 5 and one spare).

thanks,

e

Comment

noodle,

Do you own the server already or looking to purchase? If purchasing (and not sure if it would be in your budget) the HP DL360 is a 1U that can hold up to 6 drives. You could do the Mirror for the OS drives and the R5 for the data.

-Jason
        MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

And I believe the DL380 is 2u and can hold up to 8 drives... So 5U would be a bit overkill
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Delll poweredge R410s are nice, got a couple here and working very well, space for 4 drives in a 1U chassis

Comment

Originally posted by noodle View Post
              This what I would normally do but I'm trying to utilize a 1U server as rack space is limited. The only HP server I've found so far has four hot swap bays. I would have to go to a 5U server to accomodate two drives in Raid 1 and then 3 or four in Raid 5. (I ususally use 3 drives is Raid 5 and one spare).

thanks,

e
              Dell R610 is a 1ru server with 6 2.5' hot swap disks.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

thanks,

e
                HP DL 380 G5 Series are worth a look at. HDD potential is up to 8 small form factor SAS or SATA drives. The DL 380 G6 also gives potential support for up to 16 small form factor SAS/SATA drives but I believe you loose the optical drive. However, the component allowing you to increase the storage is easy to remove and put in.

Comment

thanks,

e
                  btw, IBM have a model x3650M2 with 12slots in standards with CD or DVD. About space (OS Mirr 1-2discs, DATA 3or more Raid5, 1hotspare for both raids) I can say it is a standard without SAN for servers with higher space capacity.
                  Mayo

be sure, nobody know what you think, but we know what you do.

Comment

Working...
                  X