Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain setup w/multiple locations?

Hi,

I manage a network that has multiple offices and currently does not run in a domain setting. I've been asked to design and implement a domain and apply security settings/access(Sonicwall) rules to comply with the new Mass data regulations.

Network is as follows;

Main Office - NSA 2400 - 2 WAN connections - Cable - 45 users - 15 are wireless

(2) Offices - NSA 240 - 1 WAN connection - Cable - 1 office has 20 users with 7 of them wireless the other has 10 users with 4 of the wireless

(3) Offices - TZ 150 - DSL connections (very slow and no other connection available - 3 to 5 users at each

(1) Office - TZ 180 - Cable - 12 users with 6 of them wireless.

I will install a domain controller in the Main Office and utilize Sonicwall Single Sign On for Content Filtering and Intrusion Prevention settings/access.

My concern is the remote offices. I have a server I can use as a second domain controller at the larger office above but don't want to put a server in each of the other offices.

The slow link offices will have and additional load put on them if I start having the users log into the domain over the VPN.

I also don't want all internet traffic going down the VPN's and out the main office WAN.

I need to control web access per location for best performance.

I need to have the same access policy at each location.

Some of the wireless users go between offices.

Workstaions are XP. Laptops/wireless are Vista business

Can you please provide input on how simular offices are handling these tasks?

Thanks,

Noodle

Re: Domain setup w/multiple locations?

For such small offices, I would suggest Terminal Services to connect the remote sites to the main site.
    Thank you,

Marc

Comment

Unfortunately that is not an option.

Comment

Then site-to-site VPNs
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

IMHO it is worth putting in a small server (File / DC) as soon as you hit about 6 users, especially if you have poor connectivity with the main office
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your replies. Most sites have more then enough bandwidth but the slow one concerns me.

Thanks again,

e

Comment

How fast (or slow ) are those lines then?
              If the lines are really slow then you can think about Universal group caching instead of makeing the remote DCs a GC.
              Also you can shedule the replication between the DCs.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
              X