license key queries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• license key queries

About to start work on a server for a client, however I stopped and thought.. "if I use my VLK disk, then they need a VLK, and they won't have a vLK"

so I was going to use my Partner disk that states license key required.. but then if they decide to buy a 2008 R2 std license, I've only used 2008 std, wil the license key render all my work useless ?

If I download the R2 image from technet, will it work with a standard boxed license key ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: license key queries

If you are deploying Windows Server 2008 or Vista or anythin gnew like that then you will need a Key Management server installed with the appropiate licenses from Microsoft. An SBS installation may be a bit different from Volume licenses, so I suggest a talk with your client and Microsoft to get the right bits in place first.

Comment

I don't believe that a KMS server is required. Especially since many customers will be deploying only one server and a small number of clients. AFAIK, the two methods that currently exist for Volume Licensing are: MAK and KMS.

In your case though, why doesn't the customer just purchase a retail product key?

Comment

client has around 150 workstations, 10 servers running 2003, and two new incoming srevers running 2008 R2.

We just received a 2008 R2 KMS-B license key today, and I've used it on the first server.

Can I also use it on the second server, or do I need to refer it back to the first server which now seems to be a KMS ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
        X