DFS Migration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFS Migration

I have a 2k3 windows storage server running DFS. I would like to migrate all the data and folders over to a new windows 2008 x64 server. the new server is already configured for DFS. Does anyone have a really good step by step tutorial on how to do this? I am having some trouble understanding how to use the File Server Migration Toolkit.

Re: DFS Migration

Why not set up DFS replication and let it do the job of copying the data for you?

Comment

I was thinking about that but I am afraid that replication might not copy everything identically..do you have any suggestions? maybe there are best practices for replication?
      Do you think that FSMT is a good way of performing the transer? please advise

Comment

I'm sure that FSMT could do the job as could several other tools like robocopy, etc., but if DFS can't then MS needs to blow it up and start from scratch because this scenario is exactly what DFS is intended for: keeping identical copies of data on multiple network shares and making the paths to those shares invisible to the users so that you can add paths, remove paths, etc.

Give DFS a go first and if it doesn't work try another method.

Comment

would you happened to have a good step by step tutorial on how to run FSMT?

thanks

Comment

Working...
          X