Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WDS Multicast

Hello all.

I have looked all over the internet but can't seem to find any reasons why I am having so many problems with my WDS Server.

I have reinstalled the OS multiple times and am finally as far as I have been able to get. Right now it takes about a half hour for the DHCP service to start and once it does PXE and Unicasting work fine.

What I would really like to fix is the Muticasting. No matter what I try all the clients end up doing is joining multicast sessions. They never show up in the list of computers in the Multicast Transmission at all.

Here is my setup:

Dell Optiplex 330
    Core 2 2ghz (sadly doesnt support virtualization for testing)
    4gb Ram
    Integrated LAN for WDS Network (WDS and DHCP bound to this interface only)
    Intel 10/100 LAN for updates and remote access

Server 2008 R2
    WDS, DHCP, BDD, WAIK

In my event viewer I keep getting "WDSIMGSRV" Error's. Event ID: 266 "An error occurred while refreshing settings." Also when I run "wdsutil /get-server /show:config" it won't show me the settings. It stops at "CONFIGURATION INFORMATION FOR SERVER" and never continues. I have attached what it shows.

Does anyone have anything that might help? I am getting to the point where I feel the best thing for me to do is grab a hammer.....
    Attached Files

Re: WDS Multicast

I have reformatted the Server AGAIN and it is still exhibiting all of the same symptoms. I thought it might be a bad network card so I tried another and that hasn't changed anything either.

Please, Anyone? Do you have any Ideas?

Comment

active directory server anywhere ?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...54(WS.10).aspx

my first thoughts are, try that article. you've already reinstalled, so the registry should be fine.
      that suggests maybe the AD server isn't present or reachable ?

i could be way off base, have no RW experience with WDS, so taking a guess..

http://blog.augustoalvarez.com.ar/20...7-258-266-513/
      this link suggests you definitely need AD and DHCP... don't know if thye can be co-located however..
      Last edited by tehcamel; 26th September 2009, 11:53.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Not up with WDS that much but RIS used to have a hissy fit when the Server was dual homed like yours. Does anyone know if WDS dislike 2 NICs in the Server?

And just to answer my own question. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...5-f635cc652bd4

This is worth a read jghake.
        Last edited by biggles77; 27th September 2009, 00:35.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I looked at those articles but none of the recommendations worked. It seemed that the most recent link was to fix if your console wouldn't open.

The WDS server is not a DC nor is it providing DNS. It is only DHCP on the secondary NIC and WDS is also only bound to that interface.

Since I could not get this working with 2 NIC's I reinstalled with 2008 R1. I do not have DHCP installed and I only have 1 physical network port on the computer. I removed ALL PCI nic's BEFORE installing the OS. The first thing I did was install updates and add to the domain. I then installed WDS and I am still not able to start the service. It keeps showing events in the event log "257" and "513".

Any more suggestions? It obviously isn't a problem with multiple NIC's.

Comment

Phew... At the command prompt I ran "wdsutil /initialize-server reminst:"E:\RemoteInstall" to no avail. I rebooted the computer (not sure this was necessary) and I started getting "BINLSVC Event ID:786 and 768". I found this and deleted the contents of "E:\RemoteInstall\Mgmt" and the service started. I will do some testing with everything to see if I can get it working.

Comment

Originally posted by jghake View Post
              Phew... At the command prompt I ran "wdsutil /initialize-server reminst:"E:\RemoteInstall" to no avail. I rebooted the computer (not sure this was necessary) and I started getting "BINLSVC Event ID:786 and 768". I found this and deleted the contents of "E:\RemoteInstall\Mgmt" and the service started. I will do some testing with everything to see if I can get it working.
              I added a network card and set both interfaces to static. Then tried to start WDS and got error 513 and 257 so it does seem to be an issue with multi-home. Why is it doing this if WDS supports multiple network interfaces?

I have given up on multiple network cards just for the sake of getting the server opperational. I reinstalled R2 Added to the domain, added the WDS Role. It won't start unless I run "wdsutil /initialize-server reminst:"E:\RemoteInstall" first. Once I do that the service starts, but I can't get to the advanced tab in the properties for the server. The Server Manager stops responding after a few seconds and never recovers. I have verified that the WDS Server is replying to DHCP requests as detailed here but the PXE Clients still don't boot.
              Last edited by jghake; 29th September 2009, 21:13.

Comment

Originally posted by jghake View Post
                I have verified that the WDS Server is replying to DHCP requests as detailed here but the PXE Clients still don't boot.
                Ok, I found that this problem was while everything wasn't working we enabled DHCP Option 60 "PXEClient" on our cisco gateway switch. With this enabled on the switch the WDS Server is not able to respond. As soon as we removed this WDS now PXE Boots my clients.

Multicasting seems to work now too. The client joins the session and I am able to start it manually by not specifying any conditions to start in the setup for the transmission. One thing for people who find this thread is that Multicasting was working extremely slow although Unicasting working as expected. I wasn't getting any faster than 60-120KBps over the LAN with Multicasting. I did some research and the suggestion was to try a smart switch. I was using a Netgear smart switch that Netgear support had actually told me supported IGMP (which I believe it does not, it is a GS724T) but I replaced it with an extra HP Procurve we had laying around and my speeds jumped to 6000 KBps or so.

I am still not able to get to the Advanced Tab in the server properties. Any ideas anyone?
                Last edited by jghake; 30th September 2009, 17:28.

Comment

ok you've told us that WDS is not installed on a DC - how ever you haven't answered as to whether there is actually an AD domain ?
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                    ok you've told us that WDS is not installed on a DC - how ever you haven't answered as to whether there is actually an AD domain ?
                    Yes it is a part of a domain. There are 3 DC's.

Comment

I am still seeing this problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Everything seems to be working but I still can't get to the Advanced tab on the Properties for the server?

Does anyone know what I'm missing?

Comment

Doesn't seem necessary to keep bumping the thread...
                          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                          X