Adding windows 2008 server r2 to win 2003 domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding windows 2008 server r2 to win 2003 domain

the problem is that i cant add 20 r2 to win 2003 domain.
    error is that i have to do adprep /fprestprep what i did and get this message...when i rerun adprep i get the message :

Forest-wide information has already been updated.
    [Status/Consequence]
    Adprep did not attempt to rerun this operation.

win 2003 is schema master..i use domain admin acc...any help?

Thanks.

Re: Adding windows 2008 server r2 to win 2003 domain

Can you use complete words and sentences?
    You also might tell what you are trying to achieve.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Congratulations. You've successfully updated the FOREST schema to allow 2008 Domain controllers.

Now, what about the Group Policy Schema ? And the Domain schema.

Have you even tried a google search for "2008 adprep"
      I bet you haven't. Because if you had, you would find the first google response is a link to an excellent article on this very forum.
      Or if you HAVE found it, you haven't read and understood it.

Just in case, here is the link.
      http://www.petri.com/windows-server-2008-adprep.htm

I suggest you
      A) read through that article
      b) understand that article
      c) recognise which each step is important
      d) implement the steps.
      e) come back and let us know if you have further problems - in full, complete sentences, with full complete steps you have completed.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

sentences are full and simple...if you read it..you will understand it.
        I asked for help here and on one more place and only you cant understand...ok..doesnt matter.
        I am trying to add another domain controler (2008 r2 ) to win 2003 domain (schema master,first and only domain controler for now )
        Trying to do tha i get message i described...to prepare forest for adding new domain controler adprep /forestprep...did that...i try again and again get the sam message...adprep /fprestprep.
        Than i try again adprep /forestprep and it says that there is no need to do that again.
        Tehcamel...before you post something read the problem...then answer...you will be smarter!!!

Comment

You need to Domain Prep as well.

http://www.petri.com/windows-server-2008-adprep.htm

You also need to be using the 2nd disk of the R2 media for the preparation. You may already be doing so.

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Right, folks, lets keep it professional here or I will lock this thread and take action against the member(s) responsible

Please remember this is a free support forum -- if someone is not happy with the support they are getting or the questions they are asked, there is always the option to raise an incident with Microsoft, who will be delighted to help out -- all major credit cards accepted
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I did read and understand the problem.

The problem is you are trying to promote a Windows 2008 server into a Windows 2003 Domain. You are trying to promote the server, and it tells you to run Adprep /forestprep. You have already run adprep /forestprep, so it cannot run again.

That tells me that the problem is a layer 8 issue, and that the operator EITHER has not completed all the relevant steps outlined in the article I linked, OR
              has completed those steps, but neglected to give us that important information that may help assist us in understanding the problem

Therefore, my understanding of the problem is that, although you have run the adprep /forestprep command, there are further commands you need to do.

Forestprep only prepares the forest.

I truely hope you are doing this in a test environment and not your production environment.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Well I did reading it multiple times, but nowhere you are telling what you are trying to do.
                Do they need to be a domain member, or are you trying to add 20 DC's or maybe just one?
                What have you done for your preparation?
                What are you trying to achieve?

Of course I saw your error message and apparently you have upgraded your forest to support Windows 2008

About the language: a lot of our members are not native English speakers. The forum rules are quite clear about the language usage.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

i didnt mean to insult anyone but answer from techamel was not right and thats it.
                  I am very greateful for anyones help on this forum and i appreciate that is free.
                  i work as technical support so belive me that i have patience for most of the things.
                  as for my problem...i think that problem is in server 2003 because it doesnt work very good.
                  Thank you all for your help.

Comment

what was the answer then, oh technical support one ( by the way, i work in engineering - that;s designing the solutions you SUPPORT) so get off your god damn high horse.

I'd lay odds that the problem was:
                    you had run adprep /forestprep
                    but neglected to run
                    adprep /domainprep

so do tell us - how did you resolve it.

i jus tLOVE your comment that 'the problem is windows 2003 as it doesn't work very good'
                    what doesn't it work very good compared to ?

god forbid I ever ring and get you doing technical support. because you can't even follow scripts.

Comment

OK guys
                      I warned you before and members are still acting in an unprofessional manner

The only additional post we need is one saying how the problem was solved, without any more put-downs
                      Anything else and some short bans will be imposed
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                      X