Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2008 R2 KMS Server

Hi Guys,

We currently have a Microsoft eOpen License agreement with SA so we have a KMS key for Windows 2008 R2. From what I have read we need to configure the KMS service on a server and use our Windows 2008 R2 KMS key. Once we have the KMS server up and running the Windows 2008 R2 servers will located the KMS server via DNS SRV records and the KMS server will perform all the activation.

From what I have read you need 5 or more servers to require activation before the KS server will start to operate. Appartently this used to be 25 physical but has now been dropped to 5 physical or virtual. I need 3 Windows 2008 R2 servers building for SharePoint.

How can I activate my 3 Windows 2008 R2 servers?

Thanks

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Windows 2008 R2 KMS Server

5 servers or 25 Vista/7 clients for KMS.

If you don't meet the minimum number of machines for KMS, you can generate MAK keys from eOpen. Under Product Keys, there should be an option to generate New MAK Keys. You'll get a key that can be used a certain number of times to activate machines (50 I think) - once that runs out you can generate a new key.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Much Appreciated Gareth.

I never seen the link for that until you pointed it out. Why not just give you all the keys straight away unless there trying to force you down the KMS route.

Thanks again

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Because MAK activates once and KMS keeps on activating, I think they're keen to push everyone over to KMS. Remember all the fun and games when XP VL keys started getting leaked?
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

KMS is used throught the system I work in and Vista plus laptops is a lot of fun. If the user doesn't connect their laptop to the network to say Hello to KMS once every 180 days, life becomes interesting for the user.

This will not be a problem for you Michael but one to keep in mind if you have mobile users with a VL O/S.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

A thought occurs... do you happen to know if the reactivation process is done at boot-up, or just in the background as the system is running? And if it could work over VPN?
            Gareth Howells

Comment

(sorry Michael) so 1 post about this only or it get split into a new Thread.

I do not know when the process happens and I would imagine if you are "physically" connected to the network by a VPN or Wireless connection then reactivation will occur.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

VPN or Wireless shouldn't be a problem for activation.
                See slide 10 from this url:
                http://www.wiziq.com/tutorial/1488-V...rview-for-Educ
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                X