Domain Name for AD does it matter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Name for AD does it matter?

Ok, so in the past when setting up a company with server 03 I would use their existing domain name like starbucks.com.

Now with Server 2008 R2 I have a new customer, they have a long domain name like superduperlongdomainthatistoolong.com

When doing dcpromo I prefer just to use their domain name there as super.local.

Any problem with doing that? I don't want to have their actual domain name show as it's uncomfortably long and even worse to type.

Thanks,

T

Re: Domain Name for AD does it matter?

If you search the forum you'll see that many people advise against using a valid TLD for an AD domain, due to the complications it can introduce. Keep things simple even when using Exchange, the AD domain name makes no difference to the domains Exchange can handle mail for.

I'd also advise against using .local for AD, as this is the TLD used by default by several Unix variants. Even if you don't use any of those OSes at present, it makes sense now to avoid problems later. I use .lan for AD domains, usually.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      I use .lan for AD domains, usually.
      "Ian"? I prefer "Tom"

Seriously, do NOT use your Internet name and also (can't remember the reference right this second) do not use a single word name.
      I tend to use company.corp as a fairly easy to remember name
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
        I'd also advise against using .local for AD, as this is the TLD used by default by several Unix variants. Even if you don't use any of those OSes at present, it makes sense now to avoid problems later. I use .lan for AD domains, usually.
        Agreed, I've had more than one occasion in the past to have to rename a domain from .local when the company added a load of Mac users. That was a few years ago when Microsoft used to actively recommend that AD domains have the .local suffix.

And as the others have said, NEVER use a publically routable namespace for your AD domain. That way madness lies.

An abbreviation of the name (Or at least the NETBIOS name) is probably a good idea though, especially for things like OWA if you use it. Getting users to type Superlongdomainthatistoolong\username to logon just leads to unneccessary support calls.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

You can disable the requirement to enter the domain name in OWA mind - generally advisable if you have users like mine... every company has a Robbie.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You can perfectly use the TLD, but you might getting some conflicts especially in their DNS.
            An other option might be to use something like AD.Domain.COM or so, which makes it a subdomain of the TLD.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
            X