Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shares confusion in 2008 Please Help!

Hi

Please bear with me, for some reason I have forgotten how to give staff access to a shared drive.

Ok we have a shared drive that our office staff use.

Within that shared drive there are a number of folders and different users need different access. So for example there is a finance folder in there and only finance staff need access to that, no other office staff needs access to it.

I am bit confused with the sharing in 2008, its probably because I haven't done it for a long time.

On the server where the shares reside I right click the share and under advanced sharing I give read access only to the office group. Is that correct?

I then go to regaular security for that particular folder e.g. finance folder and give just finance users modify access.

Problem is though finance are still not able to save or delete anything from that folder, I am assuming because it is using the permissions I set on the share and not on the particular folder.

Problem is if I give full control or change to office staff it gives everyone full control or change access.
    Do I need to add every user into here? is there a better way of doing this?

Or do I need to share out each individual folder!! that would be a nightmare as I have a few folders to individually give permissions too.

Please help

Re: Shares confusion in 2008 Please Help!

It is generally accepted that the "best" model for permissions is to grant Full Control to Authenticated Users on the share permissions. Giving them Read permissions only to the share limits permissions to everything within that share to read only, even if you give them elevated permissions on share contents. Once you have the share permissions in place, then grant NTFS permissions to the contents of the share to users / groups as needed.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I don't know if its any help but I had this issue last night or the day before.

Previous versions of Windows server were easy to set up shares for ... you just right click a folder, select sharing, adjust share and file/folder permissions and away you go.

Now it doesn't quite seem to work that way ... it looks like MS prefers us to use the new Windows 2008 Share and Storage Management Tool ... this requires installation (I think it needs to be installed when you install file services but I'm probably wrong), feels quirky but I suspect will become indispensable.

Hope that helps some

Kyu
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

In 2008, you can still just right click a folder and press Share... you may need to install the File Services role first.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          In 2008, you can still just right click a folder and press Share... you may need to install the File Services role first.
          True but it doesn't make a lot of sense or at least it didn't to me ... but then I frequently get things arse about face

Kyu
          J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
          The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

Originally posted by ranjb
            Please bear with me, for some reason I have forgotten how to give staff access to a shared drive.
            Open Windows Explorer
            Organize
            Folder and search options
            View
            (Scroll right down to the bottom)
            Untick Use Sharing Wizard (Recommended)

I hate that bloody thing. Are we Server/Network Administrators or wizard weinies (no disrespect intended to the SBS Fraternity with whom I am associated with).
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X