Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Splitting company - Start new domain or copy users?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting company - Start new domain or copy users?

Company is splitting, currently main office has Exchange frontend 2003, separating side has 2003 Exchange server, file server, TS, DC all running 2003.

Question: Do I create a new DC for the splitoff company, separate off Exchange and move the users over to the new domain using Server 2008 for all new architecture?

OR: Do I setup a new domain, setup new exchange server, create all new user accounts and groups and start clean and fresh with Server 08 and exchange 07?

It's about 75 users.

Not sure how to proceed but am leaning towards all new on 08.

Re: Splitting company - Start new domain or copy users?

If it's a new company, I would also go for a new system with new user accounts.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Are you on the new company or the old one?
      IMHO nuke and start again
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ok, thanks gforceindustries and ossian, I am glad that I am not the only one thinking that way.

I am with the company that is splitting, the parent company remains.

So, start with a new 2008 standard server, add all new users, then hit the exchange forum to see what the best way is to move over mail from previous domain.

Thanks again.

Tim

Comment

Working...
        X