2008 R2 Datacenter Downgrade Licensing in Virtual Environment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 R2 Datacenter Downgrade Licensing in Virtual Environment

We are migrating to ESXi and will be purchasing 2008 R2 Datacenter with the intent of downgrading to 2003 R2 (app compatibility issues). Although, there are some systems we do not want to downgrade and would like to run on 2008 R2.

All of these systems will run on ESXi on the same physical machine. With Microsoft allowing unlimited installations on one physical box with a Datacenter License can I run some of the systems as 2003 R2 and others as 2008 R2? I've contaced my sales rep and she doesn't know.

Thanks in advance!
    CCA: XenApp 5.0

Re: 2008 R2 Datacenter Downgrade Licensing in Virtual Environment

It's always been my understanding that you could not purchase Datacenter Edition as a "standalone" product. It has to be purchased from an approved vendor, pre-installed on approved hardware.

Comment

I believe that was true in 2003 (also came with the souls of several hardware engineers ) but with 2008 it is a stand alone option -- unlimited VMs can run on it
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
        X