Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seize FSMO roles on the SAME DC?

Hi,

I have problems with my DC that holds FSMO roles.
    My configuration:

1. Windows 2008 Server (64bits) - installed and configured as DC with Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, DFS replication etc.

2. Windows 2008 Server (64bits) - installed as additional DC, works in separated network (two sites connected with VPN).

The goal is to use separated DCs on this two networks and share data with DFS file replication. Everithing works well for a week, but now ont the primary DC i've got this error:

Warning:

This server is the owner of the following FSMO role, but does not consider it valid. For the partition which contains the FSMO, this server has not replicated successfully with any of its partners since this server has been restarted. Replication errors are preventing validation of this role.

Operations which require contacting a FSMO operation master will fail until this condition is corrected.

FSMO Role: CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=xx2,DC=local
    I've got separated errors for all roles.

Please note that primaty DC has no hardware problems and is up and running. DFS Replication works, but DNS stops to respond and login is very slow on all workstations. Restarting of DNS helps for some time but stops again...

I'm sure that I have seen this error before in other network and solution was to seize all FSMO roles to the same DC.

Can seizing roles tho the same (working) DS lead to any problems? How to backup Active Directory just to be sure that I can go back?

Re: Seize FSMO roles on the SAME DC?

Originally posted by unguzov View Post
    How to backup Active Directory just to be sure that I can go back?
    That depends on what backup software you're using, but... http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=win...tive+directory

Edit: And keep in mind that you should already be taking backups of AD - that is as vital to your business as your Exchange mailstores or the data on your fileservers.
    Last edited by gforceindustries; 17th August 2009, 17:29.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for your help about backup. My question was about quick backup of AD only, I do full image backups

But I want to know about seizing on the same DC, this is the main question...

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      That depends on what backup software you're using, but... http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=win...tive+directory

Edit: And keep in mind that you should already be taking backups of AD - that is as vital to your business as your Exchange mailstores or the data on your fileservers.

Comment

A backup of System State is what you need.

I tend to use NTDSUTIL when seizing roles.

Comment

Working...
        X