I'm taking a server from Server 2008 t0 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm taking a server from Server 2008 t0 2003

because three of our software applications will not run on 2008. (should have verified first)

The nut of my question is this:

Can i leave thirty four workstations from the domain XYZ in Server 2008 in their current Domain XYZ locally because I'm going to use the same XYZ Domain name in the Server 2003 install after a dcpromo of the 08 DC.

This office's DC [currently 2008] is a child of a parent. If that hurts or helps my plight I don't know.

Thanks for any insight.

Re: I'm taking a server from Server 2008 t0 2003

IMHO, if you have a stable structure, why not get another server license and install a virtual 2003 on the 2008 box (if you have Enterprise you are already licensed)
    Price of a new license is probably cheaper than the cost of the time to make the changes
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Jahap View Post
      Can i leave thirty four workstations from the domain XYZ in Server 2008 in their current Domain XYZ locally because I'm going to use the same XYZ Domain name in the Server 2003 install after a dcpromo of the 08 DC.
      No. The new domain will have a different SID. You will need to join the workstations to the new domain.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks Ossian, but I don't see that as a viable solution.

The 08 DC is in the process of a dcpromo. 03 will be on the HD within the hour and then I'll just see what happens to the Domain workstations.

If stuff breaks, oh well! I came prepared for the unjoin/rejoin scenario. I was just hoping for a quicker method.

Comment

Ossian's suggestion is a good one though, keep in mind that best practices advise against running your business appliations on a DC.

Would it not make more sense to install Windows Server on a second box, promote that to a DC and then flatten the server? That way you preserve AD - you won't have to rejoin workstations and users won't lose their profiles.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            Ossian's suggestion is a good one though, keep in mind that best practices advise against running your business appliations on a DC.
            But a VM (even if on the DC) is not the same machine...

@jahap
            Time doesnt matter -- demote the current DC (if its the only one on the domain) will kill the domain -- you have to select a "this is the last DC in the domain" as part of the process
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              But a VM (even if on the DC) is not the same machine...
              Mhm. Hyper-V would do the job. If Hyper-V isn't an option though, I've also seen literature against running VMware Server or Virtual Server on a DC due to problems the virtual NICs cause with DNS - although that as on a physical 2003 box. Not sure if the same problems would occur on 2008, but that's fine since I would just avoid using my DCs for anything other than DCs.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Inclined to agree (and playing devils advocate above) -- I would prefer DC (virtual) on HyperV on file/app server (physical)

But the OP already has the DC (presumably with HyperV since its 2008 - yes, I know you can take it without HV, but why would anyone do that), and a disinclination to solve the problem except by blowing away his domain.....
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

I I would prefer DC (virtual) on HyperV on file/app server (physical)
                  Please post in the Coffee Lounge around 5 minutes after you accidentally join the host to the virtualised domain

I know you can take it without HV, but why would anyone do that
                  Because it costs... the same from memory though there was a brief period when WS08 without Hyper-V was a little cheaper.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Please post in the Coffee Lounge around 5 minutes after you accidentally join the host to the virtualised domain
                    There is always a physical DC somewhere -- maybe not at that site, though

Because it costs... the same from memory though there was a brief period when WS08 without Hyper-V was a little cheaper.
                    About 10 / $20 cheaper IIRC
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Would it not make more sense to install Windows Server on a second box, promote that to a DC and then flatten the server? That way you preserve AD - you won't have to rejoin workstations and users won't lose their profiles.
                      Dam It!

Didn't think of that. Probably would have done the trick pdq.

The app's are AV Managemnt (symantec), WAFS (GlobeScape) & CPS (Symantec). Both vendors said their not gonna bother with code changes for 08.

Comment

@jahap
                        Time doesnt matter -- demote the current DC (if its the only one on the domain) will kill the domain -- you have to select a "this is the last DC in the domain" as part of the process
                        Time is all I have this weekend!

08 demoted just fine, even from the parent. 03 OS is updating, then onto recreating same xyz.parent.local Domain.

This Office sure has some nice frozen food in the fridge.

Comment

If you're rebuilding the domain from scratch I would strongly recommend that

a) you use a different domain name

b) flatten every workstation before joining them to the new domain, especially if you have to use the same name.

The reason I say that is that at our sister company, we weren't allowed any time to reinstall the workstations. As a result the system was crippled for a month afterwards with their technician reinstalling one machine per night. Save yourself some time now and use a different name
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

If you're rebuilding the domain from scratch I would strongly recommend that

a) you use a different domain name

b) flatten every workstation before joining them to the new domain, especially if you have to use the same name.

The reason I say that is that at our sister company, we weren't allowed any time to reinstall the workstations. As a result the system was crippled for a month afterwards with their technician reinstalling one machine per night. Save yourself some time now and use a different name
                            WOW!

Didn't do any of those and everything is up and running like nothing happened. Used the exact same Dom name in the child/parent config, recreated the AD users and did NOT rejoin the machines to the Domain.

I'm probably overlooking something but we're running with it. Employees start coming in @ 0800. We'll see shortly!

Comment

Have you actually tested that users are able to login? Even if they are, make sure that they're actually logging in to the domain and not just using cached credentials from the old domain.

The domain name is irrelevant when authenticating users - if you've created a new domain I can't see any way for your workstations to authenticate against it without being reconfigured.
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X