2008 R2 will need new CALS?!?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 R2 will need new CALS?!?!?

I was talking to my CDW rep earlier today and mentioned I was planing on getting 2008 R2 once it comes out but was going to buy my CALs before then (for budget reasons...to get them into the 3rd quarter). He told me not to, he said wait until R2 comes out because he heard form his software guys that Microsoft may be making 2008 and 2008 R2 CALs different, so you can't just have 2008 CAL's and use them on R2. So I jumped on the web to find more info, came up with nothing.

I then went to Microsoft's site and clicked the little "Chat Now" button and got a MS rep. I asked the rep if Server 2008 cals I buy now will be applicable to Server 2008 R2. The rep said NO, 2008 and 2008 R2 have a different server core and therefor are considered different versions so you have to buy all new CALs for R2.

Anyone else hear about this? For those that have Server 2008 now and want to upgrade this is a huge deal.

-Allan

Re: 2008 R2 will need new CALS?!?!?

It may or may not be a major problem depending on your licencing model.

Generally speaking, in my experience companies who intend to move to the new version of a product soon after it is released have a volume licence in place with Software Assurance. Other companies instead just upgrade every X years to whatever happens to be the current standard - they are the companies who will either buy retail/OEM licences, or a volume licence without SA.

If your company falls into the former category, you may want to consider Software Assurance.

Whenever you contemplate an upgrade though, you should always be looking at the benefits offered by the newer technology and weighing up whether it makes financial sense for your company to upgrade.

Also don't forget that if you run Exchange 2007 you will not be able to upgrade those servers to 2008 R2.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

My question is this: Does R2 offer something that you need that 2008 doesn't have? Will R2 fill a need that 2008 can't? Are you simply wanting to upgrade to R2 because it's the latest offering?

If R2 doesn't offer you a solution to a current problem or fill a need that's currently unfilled, then why bother?

I'm running W2K3 and while I did look at W2K3 R2, it didn't offer me anything that I needed so there was no point in upgrading.

I'm not knocking your desire to upgrade, but the whole "R2" concept smacks of "new and improved" or "now with more R2" syndrome to me. Why pay for "more" or "new and improved" if the current product is meeting your needs?

Comment

We do not have software assurance so if this is really true (two different CALs for 200 then ill have to wait to buy the CALs. Hyper-v on R2 supports live migrations which is pretty much the only feature in R2 over "R1" I care about and worth the wait for us.

Comment

Not sure about standard CAL's but I know that 2008 Remote Desktop (Terminal Service) Cal's are usable in R2. i.e. an upgrade isn't required.

Comment

Finally got what I was looking for:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...ensing-R2.aspx

"No WS 2008 R2 CALs were created and are not required to access a server running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2, WS 2008 CALs can be used to access either Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 servers."

Also followed it up with another Microsoft support person chat session to verify the Server 2008 CALS are usable for both Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2. Only a new server license has to be purchased, the cals are fine.

More R2 licensing info is supposed to be released next week.

-Allan

Comment

Thanks for the link Allan

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
              "new and improved"
              Marketing buzzphrase alert surely if it's improved, then it was around before (it just sucked) and so can't be new
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
              X