appending environment path during logon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• appending environment path during logon

I am setting up a new 2008R2 x64 Enterprise server. It is taking the place of a Novell 6.0 server. My customer has many stations that run an old Foxpro program. In Novell I simply setup search drives and drive letters for group login, and this would change the environment variable path. How can I do the same thing in 2008 without having to go to each station and alter the path in the SYSTEM\ADVANCED\ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES\PATH locationThanksDavid

Re: appending environment path during logon

You should be able to set the path using the "SET PATH" command (without the quotes) in your login script.

Comment

Keep in mind that "SET PATH=xyz" will only have an effect on the console session in which it is run, which in this case is the logon script. It won't have any effect on the rest of the user's session.

If you need to modify the path and have the change stick, then you can either modify the relevant registry setting with a script, or run pathman.exe or setx.exe from the Resource Kit.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
        Keep in mind that "SET PATH=xyz" will only have an effect on the console session in which it is run, which in this case is the logon script. It won't have any effect on the rest of the user's session.

If you need to modify the path and have the change stick, then you can either modify the relevant registry setting with a script, or run pathman.exe or setx.exe from the Resource Kit.
        Would you put pathman.exe or getx.exe in the logon script. P.S. I am not very good with scripting language, I prefer to use a batch file if possible

Comment

Batch is an example of a scripting language, albeit not one of the most "sophisticated" out there.

Yes you would run the required files from within the script.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Everytime I try a script, be it a .vbs or a .bat, I can map the path to a drive letter (ie. F:\APPS)but I cannot pass the environment variables to the workstation to have the F:\FOXPLUS in the PATH. All I want to do is have the user login and have the PATH be %PATH%;F:\FOXPLUS at the workstation level and stay that way until the user logs off. In Novell it was very simple. Just put the command line in the login script S1:=SYS:\APPS\FOXPLUS. It is a very simple thing in other O/S. Seems difficult in Windows Server, In searching others are asking the same question, but without any real defined answers.

Help me understand how to do this in detail

Thank you
            David

Comment

yes, you should be able to do that but it doesnt work. It will work if you are logging into the server, but if you are just logging into the workstation and logging on to the domain it does not show the path change on the workstation

Comment

Working...
              X