DNS Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Question

Ok I'm lost I thought I had an ok understanding of DNS but now I think I was wrong. Ok lets say I have a forest of three domains test.com, east.test.com , and west.test.com. My understanding is to create the DC in each location to have DNS installed on it and have its forward lookup zone to be AD intergrated.In addition I would think to create a stub zone on test.com to point recursive querys for west.test.com to west's DCs IP address and another stub for east.Would I also need to create a secondary lookup on another server at each location? I'm lost
    MCITP: EA

MCITP: SA

Re: DNS Question

Theres many ways to do this and its up to you. Learn the differences about Primary, AD Integrated, Forwarders, Stub and do as you like.

You can do a single test.com zone with east/west subdomains and have the replication scope as Forest.

Or you can have three zones at all the DCs per domain with Domain replication scope and setup the proper forwarders.

Personally I stay away from Stub Zones.

Comment

Hi Texasit,
      if you have created stub zones then you do not need to create secondary zones. It will be extra work. As you have good understanding of DNS, I am assuming that you have delegated authority of west.test.com to west DNS server and east.test.com to east dns server before creating stub zones. Then creating secondary will create replication traffic.

Comment

thanks for your help guys.
        MCITP: EA

MCITP: SA

Comment

Working...
        X