Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Install a Replica DC in an Existing AD Domain on Windows 2008

Hi All,

Would like to know how do i/can setup backup DC on an existing 2008 AD. I have setup my 1st DC 2008, now would like to know the steps in doing for the 2nd DC and then how to do the replication setup. Please share your view on this.

Thanks

Re: How to Install a Replica DC in an Existing AD Domain on Windows 2008

Run dcpromo on one of your member servers. Dcpromo will make the member server a DC. The dcpromo process will take care of setting everything up for you, including the AD replication.

Before you run dcpromo I would suggest making your DNS AD integrated. Then when you run dcpromo on the member server, let dcpromo install DNS when it prompts you to. This way your AD DNS zones get set up on and replicated to the new DC. Everything else will be set up as part of the dcpromo process.

Comment

As joeqwerty said, making zones AD integrated will save you a lot of work. Also put static IP address for backup DC, and for DNS put the DNS of the primary DC

After that, run dcpromo, select additional domain controller in existing domain, supply user/pw of domain admin account, and select domain, when you click browse, you'll have only one domain to select. When you add additional domain controller, DNS server on Windows 2K3 (if I remember correctly) is not installed with dcpromo command, so install it, but when it asks you to create forwarding zones and etc, don't do that, just skip the configuration part, because if you made your DNS zones AD integrated, they will just appear in DNS console without any setup.

Comment

Thanks joeqwerty and High1,

Thats was easy. Done that and both running perfectly. Do i need to tune/configure anything else after the setup?

Whats the best practise to see whether the 2nd DC will work, when Master DC down.

Thanks

Comment

Make sure you had the secondary DC's IP as a Secondary DNS in DHCP. Also, make it a GC.

If the Primary fails, you would have to make a decision at the time depending on what you need to carry out at the time and whether it is repairable. You tend to seize roles, if it is going to take considerable amount of time to restore and then clean metadata of the Primary DC using NTDSUTIL, removing DNS entries and items from AD Sites and Services.

Comment

Working...
          X