Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default DNS not found Address ::1

Hello,

Great site by the way - many helpful hints already used.

I have not found an answer to this here or anywhere else for that matter so here goes..

I have Server2008 standard edition with AD & one DNS domain, SQL Server 2008 is also installed and I am using this to create reports which I want to email out automatically using ReportManager.

Unfortunately I have set the DNS up multi-homed (i.e. DNS domain is the same name as the external website (which is also the mail server).

But no problem - I have added a www and mail record in the DNS forward lookup and I have configured SMTP server to use the external mail address - on the basis that the DNS should resolve this using the mail forward record.

I have installed SMTP Server which is receiving reports in the Queue folder but not processing them and relaying to the external website.

So finally to my problem: I am trying to test the SMTP Server to see what its problem is because it is not giving any error messages but it is delaying the queued emails created by SQL Server ReportManager.

When is use NSLOOKUP i get Unknown Default DNS with Address ::1

So I figure my issue is the DNS not being found to resolve the SMTP address.

Now the DNS is working OK in that SQL Server connects to a remote Access database on a domain XP PC - this is working OK.

Can anyone help - I think I need to configure the DNS so that it is default and has the address of the Server to make SMTP work.

One final note: before I discovered that adding a www and mail record in forward lookup solves the discrimination between the local DNS and remote website/server I used NETDOM to rename the DNS but then aborted this and manually renamed the DNS back again - should not have done this I know but I am new to DNS and Server2008.

By the way: I can remote access this server no problem.

Any help much appreciated.

Daz

Re: Default DNS not found Address ::1

This is to do with settings for IPv6
    Unless you have a reason to use this (and there aren't many), its best to disable the protocol for all LAN connections and stick with good ol' IPv4
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian,

Mnay thanks - I'll try this out (in about an hour when I get back to base) and let you know the result.

Noticed your footer - The server is in Dundee by the way.

Cheers,
      Daz

Comment

The nslookup message sounds to me like it's trying to use IPV6 and not finding an IPV6 reverse lookup zone. The lack of reverse lookup zones shouldn't cause the problem you're having with the email. You need an internal A record that correlates to the MX record and resolves to the external ip address of the mail server. The MX record tells your SQL server what mail server services the domain in question and then that MX record needs to point to an A record, but since the domain is internal as well as external all internal hosts will look to the internal DNS for all records pertaining to the domain and won't check any external DNS servers. That's why you need an internal A record that points to the external ip address of the server that the mail gets sent to.

The way email works is like this:

1. My mail server has an email for [email protected] so it performs a DNS query for any MX or domain A record for domain.com. If it finds an MX record it performs an A record lookup for the name returned (mail.domain.com) and resolves the A record to it's ip address. It then makes an SMTP connection to that ip address.

2. If my mail server doesn't find an MX record but it does find a domain A record it resolves the A record to it's ip address. It then makes an SMTP connection to that ip address.

3. If my mail server finds an MX record but can't find a corresponding A record, the mail will sit in the queue and my mail server will keep trying to find the A record until the retry time expires. This is what's happening in your case. Your domain is internal, you have an internal MX record but not an internal A record for the external mail server so the mail sits in the queue on the SQL server. You need to add an internal A record that resolves to the external mail server ip address in order for the SQL server to resolve it and send the mail.

Comment

Oh, I also wanted to mention to disable IPV6 (thanks Ossian).

Comment

Just remembered there is also a registry change you need to do as well as unticking IPv6 in the network connection properties
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952842
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Joe and Ossian,Thankyou for the help - now the nslookup is working fine.Joe: Thanks fo rthe clarification - I did create an MX record previously then removed it! But now I have it re-added it I have checked and the SMTP Server is still not relaying the emails.I have port 25 open as an outbound firewall rule.I can now ping the external mail server using its ip and url.So I would like to check a few SMTP things out with you if I may.I am setting this using the IIS6 SMTP virtual server snap in.The FQDN is the internaldomain (which is the same as external) with an IP address equal to the Server address.I have anonymous authentication and have granted the server ip address in connection control and in relay restrictions.In Delivery tab -> outbound security I have selected basic authentication (with TLS checked) and added the external web site password/username.In Delivery tab -> Advanced I have the FQDN as the internal domain and smart host as the mail url.Any help here would make my day.Thanks guys.Daz

Comment

Are you saying that the SQL server is sending mail to an internal IIS SMTP server and then the IIS SMTP server sends it to the external mail server?

If so, what about configuring the SQL server to send it directly to the external email server?

Did you create an internal A record for the external ip address of the external mail server?

Comment

Joe,Are you saying that the SQL server is sending mail to an internal IIS SMTP server and then the IIS SMTP server sends it to the external mail server?YesI have tried to configure SQL to do this but failed miserably and assumed that this was because I did not have an SMTP server on board to send the emails out.I alreday had an A record called "mail" and I have created the MX record which references this.Daz

Comment

Have you tried using Database Mail on the SQL server to send the emails?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                      Have you tried using Database Mail on the SQL server to send the emails?
                      No - but I have a copy of outlook installed to test the mail connection - I cannot connect to the external mail with that either.I am using the external SMTP url and credentials as normal in outlook but test account settings fail - except establish network connection.I have double checked the A & MX records and they are correct (as far as I know).I would gladly use Database MAil if it solves the problem. Is my confusion that I don't need an on board SMTP server as long as I can connect to the external mail server?Daz

Comment

You'll need to figure out why you can't connect to the mail server before you can get anything else working. You might want to call the email provider to make sure that you have the right settings, username, password, etc. Once you get that working you can configure SQL Database Mail to send the emails for you instead of using IIS.

Comment

Joe,

Thanks for your help. I am also the webmaster for the external domain and have set up the outlook account on another PC (XP pro) which worked fine with the same settings.

The server is behind a router with firewall active but other PC's behind this router can access emails under general firewall port rules in th erouter (i.e. not IP specific).

I'll keep testing - it would be useful if I could trace the outlook error so I'll investigate that further and see where it leads.

Thanks again.

Daz

Comment

Glad to help. Post your progress and any other questions/problems back here.

Comment

Quick update:Tested using another external website and everything worked OK.So there must be a problem with the multi-homed DNS records in resolving the mail portion of the external mail server (e.g. mail.externalesite.com) - since the www record works fine (as the website loads via internet explorer).SQL Server Report Manager worked beautifully and sent a fully rendered report to the email address stipulated in subsriptions (via the external email server).Another 4 days trashed due to multi-homing!Daz

Comment

Working...
                              X