No announcement yet.

DC migration to Windows 2008

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC migration to Windows 2008

Hi there,

I have done reading, prepared plan (please see attached file) but I have some additional questions about things which I am not 100% sure. I am sure that with your knowledge and experience you will be able to help me out.

DC1 – Win 2003 Server SP2, holding all FSMO roles, DHCP, DNS (AD integrated zones), DC2 – Win 2003 SP2, “secondary DC”, DNS + IBM Domino Mail Server.
    I want to add two new servers DC3 (physical) and DC4 (virtual) running Windows 2008 Standard 64bit and promote them to DC. Demote DC1 and DC2. I also want to setup DHCP on both server (now we have only one DHCP) and split the scopes. After migration I need to rename DC3 to DC1 and change it’s IP to demoted DC1 IP.

Please have a look at the attached file with all the steps. All suggestions are welcome and much appreciated.

On top of that I have few questions:
    1. Do you have any suggestion about renaming DC3 and changing IP address? I have to keep ‘DC1’ name and IP settings unchanged because to many things refer to it.
    1. I think I demote DC2 before promoting DC3 and D4. After demoting DC2 I will have only one domain controller – DC1. I will make an image of it – if anything goes wrong I will be able to recreate old configuration fast (I think the restoration from image will not cause any problems because I will have only one DC). What do you think?
    2. Shall I migrate to Windows 2008 64bit or 32bit? Probably I know your answer… (our AD is small (250 users, 200 machines) so I am guessing that64bit won’t make things work faster).
    3. Shall I install DNS on DC3 and 4 after or before dcpromo? Or it doesn’t really matter?
    4. Will all DNS settings be replicated automatically to new server or I have to do some configuration? (zones are AD integrated).
    5. DHCP migration – because we do not have many reservation I am not going to move DHCP database but I will configure DHCP server from scratch after stopping old DHCP. Do you think it’s ok or I shall migrate the DHCP database?

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files
    Last edited by marcin; 15th July 2009, 22:20.

Re: DC migration to Windows 2008

i'm pretty sure you cannot change the name of a DC....

so you might need to:
    Promote DC3.
    Demote DC1.
    Rename DC4 to DC1.
    Promote DC1.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: DC migration to Windows 2008

thanks for reply. It is possible to change the domain controller name (FL must be at least 2003):

Thanks for your help.