No announcement yet.

Problem installing SP2 2008 x64

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem installing SP2 2008 x64

Good afternoon,

It's been a little while since I posted so hope your all well, thought it was time to pick everyones brains again...

I have managed to upgrade 12 of our Terminal Servers to SP2 but one will not take the update...

Right the setup is:-
    • 13 Windows Server 2008 x64 boxes, running Terminal Services
    • All were running SP1 and came from the same template.
    • All are virtual machines running on ESX4 hosts and with the latest VMWare Tools and Hardware installed.
    • All are running IE7
    • All are otherwise fully patched
    I ahve two entries in the system event log. one Eventid 1 (SP start install) the other Eventid 8 (failed service pack). The error is:
    "Service Pack isntallation failed with error code 0x80041002"
    This is the same error code seen in the installer. We have tried initially by pushing with SMS2003, but this failed on them all, we then did a manual install on each box for testing before we roll out to the entire estate and this works all bar this one box.

We have ran the system readiness tool this seems to run through fine, no errors.

We have ran an SFC and all comes back clean, there is no vmdk corruption either. There is nothing else in the event logs, im a bit stumped!

Any ideas?

Thanks Martin

Re: Problem installing SP2 2008 x64

Guess no one has experienced this yet then?

Remember that it is the weekend when we have a lot less traffic plus you have not even had the post on for 24 hours yet.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015

Couldn't find a single work around for this. Ended up blowing away the VM and recreatign from a template we had, SP went straight on. Yet ANOTHER 2008 bug!

What method where you using to install the SP, I have encounted the same problem when using the automatic windows update.. also running on a virtual image.
          My soloution was to download the SP manaully and install.

Can you post the %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log log from a server having the issue ?
            Guy Teverovsky
            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

tried WSUS push, WSUS pull, tried standard windows updates and a manual network installation of the SP. gave in in the end and just rebuilt using a VM template already created. So I didnt get to the bottom of it (wish I still ahd the logs now) Thanks for the replies though.