Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Windows 2008 server shares from Windows 98 workstations

Hi,

We have a new Win2008 server and several old Windows 98 second edition workstations. I am having trouble accessing the shared drive on the 2008 server from the Win98 workstations. Cannot map a drive - looking for a password on the share name. Cannot see even the share names in Network Neighborhood - looking for a password on the resource \\servername\IPC$. On the server we do not require a password to read shared folders. All XPs work fine, logging in as a user with password.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Charles

Re: Using Windows 2008 server shares from Windows 98 workstations

Had a similar problem with one network when I upgraded from NT 4.0 Server to Win2K3. From memory it had something to do with digital signing, SMB or something similar (was a long time ago).

You should be getting an error message on the Win98 machines when you try to logon. Google the phrase and it should tell you what the problem is. 10 years old, it is really time to get rid of the 98 machines.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the only error message is invalid password. It is asking for passwords for "resources", which do not exist as resources in Win2008 server, at least not with a specified password. These resources are either \\server\ICP$ or \\server\serverc (which is the share name). I get a request for password for the latter when attempting to map to \\server\serverc\xxx and for the former when when attempting to see what the shares are in the server machine in Network Neighborhood. Win98 still has some uses. Also I find it easier to understand and debug than anything Vista based. My guess is that the issue is with Win2008 sever. Some setting there is not right.

Comment

Seen this???

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...1-e725dc58bc5e

and this, it is for 2003 but i think it has the same principles

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555038

Comment

If I was using active directory, that would probably work. Thanks for the attempt. For now I have two workarounds. For backup purposes, I use an XP Pro in the middle,which can see both. For data lookup purposes, I use Remote Desktop - the only issue now is that I cannot add the role to the 2008 server that would allow it to host several Remote Desktops at the same time. Unknown error - Thanks Microsoft!

Comment

You will need terminal services (and buy the CALs)
            If not, Server 2008 is limited to 2 remote connections at a time
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Should've mentioned it wasn't in an AD domain.

Anyway i think it can also be done in a workgroup.

Let me have a try at it.

Comment

pretty sure this has somthing to do with the AD operation level its call i think. .. 2008 domain function level or 2003 . If you want to use 98 comupter then you have to set the server to work on 2003 server level

which defeat the purpose of having 08 server really

Comment

And it is not guaranteed to work. I followed Yuvals' article plus a heap of others but could not get 98 working on a 2003 Domain. Crazy thing is I had other sites with 2003 Server, AD, and Win 98 working just fine. After 2 weeks, bit the bullet and upgraded to XP.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X