Unable To Capture Image in WDS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable To Capture Image in WDS

VMWare - 64-bit guest operating system with 32-bit Windows XP installed and sysprepped with the -reseal -activated -mini options.

On my WDS, I have a capture image file, x64. On guest OS PXE boot, WDS automatically detects x64 architecture and gives me the x64 menu options.

When it comes to the area to pick which volume to capture, the list is blank. Shift+F10 does not show my C drive. So I am wondering if I sysprepped it incorrectly or if I just don't have the storage drivers for it? I have tried various sysprep.inf files including the buildmassstorage=yes option.

Ideas?

Thanks,
    Chase

Re: Unable To Capture Image in WDS

If I'm reading you right, it's a virtual x64 machine and the boot/capture images on the WDS server are x64, but you are capturing a x86 image?

I haven't done much with x64 on WDS but IIRC an x86 image needs to be captured by an x86 capture image, so you'll need to either install an x86 capture image on the WDS server or install x64 XP in the virtual machine.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I was hoping I would hear from you! Read your previous posts.

If I'm reading you right, it's a virtual x64 machine and the boot/capture images on the WDS server are x64, but you are capturing a x86 image?
      My host machine is on Vista x64, therefore my virtual machines are x64 capable hardware. I am trying to creating an x86 system to at some point clone to actual x86 systems.

with x64 on WDS but IIRC an x86 image needs to be captured by an x86 capture image, so you'll need to either install an x86 capture image on the WDS server
      That is what I thought last night. I don't have an x86 2008 or Vista disc so I am downloading the Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) as I am told it has x86 capture files.

Here is the problem I am foreseeing, even if I install the x86 capture image, won't WDS detect the x64 architecture and therefore only give me the x64 menu? Is there a way to choose between both?

When it comes to the area to pick which volume to capture, the list is blank
      Are you concluding that the root cause to my original problem is due the x64 capture image?

Thanks again for your time and consideration!

Comment

According to Technet if you capture an image with an x64 capture image you will only ever be able to boot x64 computers to it. Theoretically if they are only talking about hardware, then what you are attempting should work.

No volume showing at the volume to capture dialog box does suggest a sysprep issue though, so a few things to try.
        1. Make sure you have downloaded the correct version of sysprep, there is a new version for XP SP3
        2. Try syspreping the image again and make sure you don't allow the machine to reboot before you PXE boot it to the capture image
        3. If you have already sysprepped 3 or more times then wipe the image and start again, the risk of data corruption is high
        4. If this still fails install a Vista x64 image into a VM and try capturing it.

If all else fails and step 4 succeeds then you may be forced to use WDS in Legacy mode (Effectively RIS) to deploy x86 XP images.
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I will try this tonight and let you know. I don't have to worry about sysprepping too much since I have a snapshot just before my first sysprep that I keep going back to.

As a side note, have you ever used MySysprep? It claims to change the HAL just before sysprep is activate on first system start up, therefore it will work universally with systems.

Comment

Originally posted by homeshark View Post
            I will try this tonight and let you know. I don't have to worry about sysprepping too much since I have a snapshot just before my first sysprep that I keep going back to.

As a side note, have you ever used MySysprep? It claims to change the HAL just before sysprep is activate on first system start up, therefore it will work universally with systems.
            It doesnt show up because you havent sealed the system. Sysprep it first and the C drive will show in the drop down menu.

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
              According to Technet if you capture an image with an x64 capture image you will only ever be able to boot x64 computers to it. Theoretically if they are only talking about hardware, then what you are attempting should work.

No volume showing at the volume to capture dialog box does suggest a sysprep issue though, so a few things to try.
              1. Make sure you have downloaded the correct version of sysprep, there is a new version for XP SP3
              2. Try syspreping the image again and make sure you don't allow the machine to reboot before you PXE boot it to the capture image
              3. If you have already sysprepped 3 or more times then wipe the image and start again, the risk of data corruption is high
              4. If this still fails install a Vista x64 image into a VM and try capturing it.

If all else fails and step 4 succeeds then you may be forced to use WDS in Legacy mode (Effectively RIS) to deploy x86 XP images.
              It doesnt show up because you havent sealed the system. Sysprep it first and the C drive will show in the drop down menu.
              My C drive doesn't show up since it does not have the SCSI driver for the drive in my virtual machine. I confirmed this with Shift+F10 since I cannot see the C: drive. Am i wrong? I also Sysprep everytime with the sysprep -mini -reseal option.

I am working with some of the tools at driverpacks.net which inject drivers for sysprepping. So I am hoping one of the mass storage device drivers on there will help. I think I should have originally made my image on a virtual IDE then I wouldn't have had so much trouble.

If I can figure out which driver is needed maybe I could just manually load it in the DOS prompt before going to the capture screen,

Comment

It's easy enough to deploy a basic WDS image into a new VM with an IDE drive specified to prove the theory. Could be, XP is notoriously weak for storage driver support, although drivers are injected into the capture image so that's the Vista part of the process. If the driver was the issue I'd expect XP not to boot and to throw an 0x0000007B unmountable boot volume BSOD.
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Well.... for now I have given up. I have tried a lot of different driver injections methods but I still could not get my C drive to be recognized with SCSI drives. As for my IDE drive x86 test, I got my C: to be detected only once. With the x86 capture I was given an error of a corrupt windows file so I never made it to the capture screen. With the x64 capture file, I was able to get it to recognize my C: drive once. I then repeated the procedure (by reverting back via snapshot) only to have it now bluescreen me saying my ACPI wasn't compatible. I even dumbed it down to the ACPI PC HAL but I still got that message. I just wish there was an image of XP someone created in Vmware that is recognized by WDS, then I could work off of that. I'm sure one day I'll get it....

So what are some 3rd party deployment solution software pieces?

Comment

Pretty sure this is due to the mismatched x86/x64 OSs. The only other option would be to use WDS in Legacy Mode (Effectively using RIS under a different name) for deploying XP or looking into something like Ghost.
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X