Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow network file transfer (Server 2003 to Server 2008)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow network file transfer (Server 2003 to Server 2008)

Okay - We have a Windows Server 2000 domain which is running all Windows Server 2003 and Server 2003 R2 servers (21 total - mixed). The PDC is Windows Server 2003 (not R2 - not SP2). All the servers involved are on the same switch on a full gigabit network.

We have purchased two new Intel servers which have Server 2008 as file servers and quickly found that when we try to migrate data to them, we get 1Mb/s transfer speeds (not to mention after the thing stops 'calculating'). Within our normal environment transferring between Server 2003 and Server 2003 R2 servers, we are expecting 30+ Mb/s. Let's put it this way - 3Gb of data should NOT take 2 hours to transfer within a productive corporate network.

I have found a ton of forum posts and Microsoft MVPs replying with links to Technet but none of which have led to a solution.

When I am RDPd into Server 2008 and transfer to a (mapped drive or not - doesn't matter) Server 2003 network folder it is now up to 30Mbps within the server's environment. But when our backup/storage server attempts to collect data on these machines, it is back to 1Mbps!!!!!!! WTF!??

We were honing in on the Intel NIC cards that came with some bloated drivers and all kinds of software settings that don't really seem to be necessary. (receive-side scaling? I just saw that in the software - why does hardware also need it?) - netsh int ctp show global

Now - we don't push server updates since the inception of XP SP2's nasty little Windows Firewall inclusion which almost no I.T. personnel knew about and they all want the server to be rebooted (sorry MS, our Domain Controller is only allowed for one planned restart per year).

Trust me - I've done and turned off all the stupid netsh options.

Just for those who actually read all the information I supplied... Here's a breakdown:

• We have tested from Server 2008 to Server 2008 file transfer. Works great.

• Server 2008 to Server 2003 sucked - until I ran this command:
      netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

• So now while RDP'd into Server 2008, copying files to/from Server 2003 system works as expected.

HOWEVER
    • Server 2003 file transfer (pulling files) from a Server 2008 shared folder - sucks. No matter what. This is what needs to work since the 2008 servers are production file servers that our backup (Server 2003 R2) server will be pulling data from to store.

I don't think I'm missing out on anything important, but please please please if you are an MVP - please don't be a jerk and just post a link to Technet based on a Vista subject. (I've gotten responses with everything from Windows 98 to Vista to Server 2008 articles... This is ONLY a server 2008 issue and I don't want to fish through a stream of useless links.... Please!)

I say this is only a Server 2008 issue because we have 21 Server 2003 servers that work JUST FINE together. We cannot change our whole infrastructure and risk hundreds of millions of dollars of data because of a new operating system. Let me be clear... We buy servers on an as-needed basis. Well we are standing on that basis as I speak because we need the extra network space and throughput.

Who would have thought Microsoft would SLOW DOWN network transmission speeds... Should we have waited for the next server release? 2008 is great until you try to do things with it. LOL

I will continue to update and provide a solution when it becomes available. I promise to do that for all those desperate Googlers out there just like me. Did someone say SharePoint Services?
    Last edited by KnotBeer; 29th June 2009, 18:35. Reason: It's unprofessional of me to point out the unprofessionalism of our one great mega-corporation. It hurts people's feelings.

Re: Slow network file transfer (Server 2003 to Server 200

KnotBeer, I don't have anything to say about your problem but I will say that the tone of your post is not likely to get you the response you desire. I understand your frustration with the problem and the responses you've gotten on other forums but coming here and posting as you did doesn't impress me as professional, cooperative, helpful, or open to getting whatever assistance is offered. Hopefully someone will post something useful to you and hopefully you'll take it in the spirit that it's intended.

Also, IMHO that's fake SGM (Scissor Gang Mafia).

Comment

Awesome. Thank you for not posting a link to an urelated operating system.

Comment

Following on from Joe's post, maybe a few judicious edits to the original post are called for?
        All help here is by volunteers, who give up their free time to help out, so please show some tolerance for them
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Solved

SOLVED!

While everybody wants to comment on the style of my approach to an issue that should not exist in the first place, I have finally found our week-long search for this answer:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...1-96b7f5d8e2fa

Thank you for being so judgemental!

Comment

Your welcome. Thanks for giving us something to be judgemental about. You're the best!

Comment

So the problem was actually with DFSR then. How did you manage to get that from the post above which makes no mention of it???

Will be handy for others in the same situation though so thanks for posting your outcome.

Comment

......... but please please please if you are an MVP - please don't be a jerk and just post a link to Technet based .........
                You get more answers and help with good manners than by insulting those who may best help.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ironic really that the final solution came from.... wait for it.... yes, you got it.... TECHNET

Ketchup available if any words need to be eaten
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                  X