Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFS Namespace in NAT-ed environment

Hi,

Pertaining to DFS, the requirements is that it must have an AD available (provided I'm choosing domain-based DFS)

As what my title states, if it still possible to implement DFS as majority of my users are using the NAT-ed IP address to access the folders and files?

Many thanks in advance.

Re: DFS Namespace in NAT-ed environment

You've got NAT being used on your internal network?

Comment

yep...that's because my users are residing in my corporate network segment and DFS server residing in so-called "internal" network segment. This "internal" is meant only for my depts usage (including my own AD, DNS, DHCP, etc). In order for my depts to use corporate resources, they have NAT-ed my existing file server. When my users (in corporate network), access their files, they uses the NAT-ed IP address instead of the actual IP address of my file server.

So, is it still possible to implement DFS? I'm not sure whether this will work but I was thinking of getting my corporate DNS server to create an entry (A record) to point to the NAT-ed IP address so that when my user access \\fqdn\resource, their workstation will be able to know where to go. I got this feeling that this may not work due to DNS resolution.

Please enlighten me...

Comment

NATing doesn'tmake sense.. why not just route ?

I know this doesn't answer your question or assist, i'm just curious as to why an orgainsation would choose to go this way ? Is there a logical or business reason, or it was just done ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

ah...that was what i posted to my colleagues when i realize such setup. their reason is because of the IP address range which will conflict with my corporate network. the ip range used in my "internal" network and corporate network are the same. now, don't ask me why my company wanted such design...once i found out, i'll share with all of you.

anyway, thanks for the "insights"...

Comment

I can't find any info saying it would cause a conflict.

If it does just change to a 1to1 mapping NAT instead of a NAT w/PAT

Comment

so if i can get my corporate to change, does this means i'll be able to roll-out DFS?

Comment

(CLOSED) Re: DFS Namespace in NAT-ed environment

as i couldn't find the solution, thus i'm closing this thread. many thanks to those that have helped...

Comment

Working...
                X