Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrade windows 2003 DC to windows 2008 DC

Hi All,

I want to do in-place upgrade my windows 2003 standard etd (32 bit) domain controller to windows 2008 enterprise etd (32 bit) domain controller

We have one window 2003 with sp1 domain controller and one window 2003 with sp1 additional domain controller which has exchange 2003 with sp2 install on it

I only want in-place upgrade my windows 2003 standard etd (32 bit) domain controller to windows 2008 enterprise etd (32 bit) domain controller and I donít want to upgrade additional domain controller which has exchange 2003 with sp2 install on it

I need help to do the following step above, I will be thank full for your help

Regards
    Taqi

Re: upgrade windows 2003 DC to windows 2008 DC

First of all, make sure the server you are upgrading has the latest Windows service packs and updates. Also, check there is enough hard disk drive space for Windows 2008 Server. It also needs to be an NTFS volume.

Prior to installation, also disconnect any UPS devices and temporarily disable any antivirus software.

Logon to the server with the Schema Master FSMO role. You need to make sure you are logging on as a user that is a member of the enterprise adminstrators and schema admins security groups.

Copy the \sources\adprep folder from the Windows 2008 server DVD to the server.

Open up the command prompt and change the lcoation to the adprep folder.

Run the following: Adprep /forestprep

And if you are using Read Only DCs at some point, Adprep /rodcprep

Logon to the server with the Infrastructure Master role and copy the Adprep folder to it.

Run the following in the command prompt: Adprep /domainprep /gpprep

Give the domain time to replicate.

Insert your DVD into the server you want to upgrade whilst logged on. Follow the onscreen prompts. After you have inputted the license key, you will be given a choice relevant to the license you purchased. You can only upgrade to the Full Installation version of Enterprise Edition.

Make sure you have a full ASR and System State backup of the DC and Exchange Server before carrying this out. Ideally, it would be good for you to first test this in a virtualised environment created by restoring the backups recommended above.

Comment

Working...
    X