Best Practices for Adding Roles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Practices for Adding Roles

I know that it's not great (I'm told) to add WSUS to your DC, but I only have one PC I can dedicate.

Would it be best to add a Virtual Machine with the WSUS role on it rather than add the roll to the DC (or does this really not acomplish much).

Please help. I posted here rather than Virtual Forum as it's not really a question about how to do it but if... Please feel free to move if necessary.

Thanks,
    Allen

Re: Best Practices for Adding Roles

If the box is a DC then I would just run WSUS rather than the additional load of another OS as well as WSUS.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by chakotay2 View Post
      I know that it's not great (I'm told) to add WSUS to your DC, but I only have one PC I can dedicate.

Would it be best to add a Virtual Machine with the WSUS role on it rather than add the roll to the DC (or does this really not acomplish much).

Please help. I posted here rather than Virtual Forum as it's not really a question about how to do it but if... Please feel free to move if necessary.

Thanks,
      Allen
      Depending on your hardware, I'd be tempted to use a V|irtual machine for WSUS. IIS is a security risk and with it being installed on a DC, you need to be careful.

However, SBS has no choice for main roles, so it is done but as you said, not recommended.

If you do install it on the DC, make sure the server is fully patched and that IIS is also locked down as much as you can.

Do a google search for Best Practices with that.

Comment

Hmmm, 50/50.... The Virtual Route doesn't seem slow at all to me... I have a fairly robust server... I may try that first if performance is the only downfall to doing it that way...

Comment

Let us know how you get on!
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

>>Let us know how you get on!

I am not sure how to take that, is that a sarcastic comment or serious?

Also, I am not using SBS, I am using Server 2008 64 bit Enterprise (If that makes any difference)

Comment

You should be fine. How much memory have you got? I take it that you will be using Hyper-V?

Also, 64 bit Enterprise allows an additional 4 licences for Virtual Servers, so no extra cost involved.

Create a Performance Baseline for your server before installing the Virtual Server and then one thereafter. You can then look at the impact.

A DC doesn't use or need a great deal of resources the majority of the time, so I would have thought you should be ok.

Comment

I have 8 Gigs of Ram and running Core 2 Quad 2.4 Ghz CPU.

I can add more ram if I need to but haven't ever even come close to maxing this yet. Biggest bottleneck in my system seems to be hard drive speed (even though I am running Sata 3 Gb with Raid 1 (2x500Gb 7200 RPM drives)... [I am eyeing a new Solid state drive to run the system drive off of but a little short on cash right now!]

Allen

Comment

Your running 64 bit, so as you probably know, you can take full advantage of the memory.

Running a Virtual Machine will be fine on that spec.

Comment

Ok, will give it a shot. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X