Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP4 vs IP6 for a new network deployment

Hello,

As a consultant for various companies across the nation I often have the opportunity to build new networks from scratch. As the rest of the world is beginning its migration to IPv6 I am wondering if those of us in the US should begin to deploy new networks as IPv4 or IPv6 networks.

I am currently in the process of planning out a new network infrastructure that I will begin to deploy in the next couple of weeks for a financial services firm that will need to be SEC compliant and the benefits of native IPSec in IPv6 seem attractive but as of yet I do not have much experience with IPv6. It seems to me that this would be a good opportunity to learn.

This new network will run on Cisco network switches/firewalls/routers and Windows 2008 servers.

Does anyone have any good articles on the benefits of deploying IPv6 now or articles on why you should wait to deploy IPv6?

Thanks,

Matt

Re: IP4 vs IP6 for a new network deployment

Do the admins there have the ability to support it? Personally I would say no don't bother yet unless there is plenty of time to learn and get it working along with the training for the people that will need to work with it day by day.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by brownmattc View Post
      Hello,

As a consultant for various companies across the nation I often have the opportunity to build new networks from scratch. As the rest of the world is beginning its migration to IPv6 I am wondering if those of us in the US should begin to deploy new networks as IPv4 or IPv6 networks.

I am currently in the process of planning out a new network infrastructure that I will begin to deploy in the next couple of weeks for a financial services firm that will need to be SEC compliant and the benefits of native IPSec in IPv6 seem attractive but as of yet I do not have much experience with IPv6. It seems to me that this would be a good opportunity to learn.

This new network will run on Cisco network switches/firewalls/routers and Windows 2008 servers.

Does anyone have any good articles on the benefits of deploying IPv6 now or articles on why you should wait to deploy IPv6?

Thanks,

Matt
      The Internet backbone will stil run with IPv4 for a good time yet.

I would recommend that you perhaps use both at the same time and purchase the necessary hardware that supports both.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
        The Internet backbone will stil run with IPv4 for a good time yet.
        True, and that'll be the case for a long time.
        Although most Root Server (If not all) support IPv6 now.
        I would however refrain from deploying merely IPv6 networks and services just yet on production networks for various reasons such the ones mentioned previously plus application compatibility etc.

Here is a two part podcast for more info:

http://www.informit.com/podcasts/epi...3-F7A8C555AB5E

http://www.informit.com/podcasts/epi...7-0013df32ea67
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

On a personal note, if you have more than 16,777,214 devices on your network then IPv6 is definately the way to go, otherwise IPv4 will do.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X