windows 2008 Domain Controller issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows 2008 Domain Controller issues

I created a windows 2008 domain controller and named the server 'domain'. Let's call the domain name 'acme.com'. I just found out that the Global policy catalog replaced the server name 'Domain' with 'Acme.com' in the file path for the gpt.ini file.

I attempted to change all of the file paths in the registry so that the file path to the gpt.ini files were correct. But the server is still not able to complete a GPUPDATE to the child domain controllers due to the path is still incorrect.

Can this be corrected by using the NETDOM command and rename the server or do I need to do more drastic measures to fix this problem?
    http://www.petri.com/rename-windows-...ontrollers.htm

Re: windows 2008 Domain Controller issues

I'm confused as to what you're saying. The path to the GPO store (catalog) is based on the domain name not the server name. Each DC will have it's own copy of sysvol, such as: \\server1\\sysvol\domain.com and \\server2/sysvol\domain.com but the GPO store is always based on the domain name.

Comment

-Background-
      Domain name: acme.com
      Primary domain controller name: Domain
      child domain location1- controller name: 1-Domain
      child domain location2- controller name: 2-Domain

-problem-
      The primary domain controller is unable to provide group policy updates to the child domains. My opinion is that the file path to the group policy gpt.ini file was created wrong due to the server name 'domain' was treated as a variable and replaced with the domain name 'acme.com'. What should be \\server\sysvol\domain.com... was created as \domain.com\sysvol\domain.com...
      I attempted to revise the file path in the regisrty but that did not resolve the issue.

-GPUPDATE Error example-
      C:\Users\Administrator>gpupdate
      Updating Policy...
      User policy could not be updated successfully. The following errors were encountered:
      The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\acme.com\sysvol\acme.com\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be transient and could be caused by one or more of the following:
      a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller.
      b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller has not replicated to the current domain controller).
      c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled. Computer policy could not be updated successfully. The following errors were encountered:
      The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\acme.com\sysvol\acme.com\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be transient and could be caused by one or more of the following:
      a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller.
      b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller has not replicated to the current domain controller).
      c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled.
      To diagnose the failure, review the event log or invoke gpmc.msc to access infor
      mation about Group Policy results.

-Question-
      If the NETDOM command was used to rename the primary domain controller, would the file path to the group policy be updated to reflect the new controller name?

Comment

So instead of being \\acme.com\sysvol\acme.com it's actually \\domain.com\sysvol\domain.com? Yes, I can see how that would be a problem. NETDOM should make all the adjustments for you as long as they haven't been messed up by your manual tinkering. Good luck with it and post your progress back here.

Comment

-Correction-

At present, the \\acme.dom\sysvol\acme.com should be \\domain\sysvol\acme.com

I am hoping that after the NETDOM command it will change the path to \\newname\sysvol\acme.com

I will have to make this change next week when I can schedule the downtime and be available to support during/after the change.

More to post latter on.....

Comment

Huh?
            I think I'm a bit lost or confused.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Me too. What on earth are you talking about? And who said that GPOs are replicated or transfered to child domains? I think you got your settings mixed up a bit.

Do you want to tell us everything, or should we start to guess?
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I am at a loss in trying to explain this differently or to provide "everthing".

The name of the primary domain controller is "domain". The problem is that the primary DC ("domain") is not able to complete the GPUPDATE function due to the file path for the gpt.ini is wrong. Some how Windows replaced the server name "domain" with the domain name "ACME.com" in the file path.

Comment

Yep, I'm confused at this point as well.

The "FQDN path" to the sysvol should be:

\\domain_name\sysvol\domain_name

The physical path to the sysvol should be: \\server_name\sysvol\domain_name

Can you tell us what each one is in your case. Thanks.

Comment

Most confusing thread of 2009.

Comment

Working...
                    X