Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connectin 2 DC's together from diffrent locations via vpn?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connectin 2 DC's together from diffrent locations via vpn?

I am trying to connect 2 servers together that are at diffrent locations. Inside network for A is 10.1.10.1 and B is 10.1.11.1. Main goal is to share files and print.

- what do I need to do to the router if anything?

- Network A is the root forest.

- Do I set server A up as a vpn server and conncet to server B like you would a regular computer.

- Does server B have to be 10.1.10.1 too.

- Do I point server B's dns to server A?

Thank You

Re: Connectin 2 DC's together from diffrent locations via vpn?

are they both DCs?

a dc should normally point to itself for it's first dns server.. then it should point to another dc for the second.

yes, i would configure a vpn for site traffic. i'd also consider something like creating separate sites in AD, but i don't know enough about this side of it yet to really advise you..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Setup a site-to-site VPN connection with your firewalls.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Does anybody know how to set up a vpn

Comment

Yes....

...What make and model routers do you have at each end?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

netgear wpn824

Comment

Not sure if they support site to site VPNs -- what are the cable or DSL modems they are connected to?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

comcast SMC8014. I can set up a vpn from site to site, using a node on each end, I don't know how to do it thru the Routing and Remote Access on the server. I am assuming that it is thru Routing and Remote Access .

Comment

If your routers will do it, forget RRAS -- router to router VPNs are far simpler
                  Once thats done, you should be able to ping the other site without problems -- if not, add a static route on the servers
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

how do you do that? I've never done that before.

Comment

Sorry, I thought you said your routers or modems did VPNs (Post #8 "I can set up a vpn from site to site, using a node on each end" )

Check the manual to see if they can -- process is generally providing (at each end) a public IP, a key and a site IP range and subnet
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

ok, thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X