Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Essential Business 2008 Premium

Hello!
    I dont know if this is the right place to ask this question but here it goes...

I have a new branch office, and i need to install a new server there. In that brach office i got arround 20 PCs. I was thinking in install my old server with Windows 2003+SQL Server 2000 in there and buy a new server with Windows Essencial Business to the headquarters (+-100 users)

My question... Can my old server be a Secondary Domain Controller to the new server? Can i replicate my SQL database with the new one?
    I couldnt find the limitations of this system beside the 300 users.

All the help is welcome..

Best regards
    Ricardo Antunes

Re: Windows Essential Business 2008 Premium

SQL databases are easily moved should replication be an issue. You just detach the stores and then copy the databases to the new server and then re-attach.

I'm not familiar with the system you are considering but generally, you can join another computer as another DC and if the system is similar to SBS, it can't hold any FSMO roles. They must remain on the SBS box or your proposed OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
      SQL databases are easily moved should replication be an issue. You just detach the stores and then copy the databases to the new server and then re-attach.

I'm not familiar with the system you are considering but generally, you can join another computer as another DC and if the system is similar to SBS, it can't hold any FSMO roles. They must remain on the SBS box or your proposed OS.

I thought that wen you've got a SBS system, you cant connect any other server to that network.. I supose im wrong... right?

Comment

You can with an SBS server providing the SBS server still has all FSMO roles. I did it in a w2k3 SBS domain and was glad I did. A transition to w2k3 standard on the SBS 2003 box failed and I seized roles to the second DC and then reinstalled the old SBS box and installed Exchange.

Comment

Working...
        X