Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using WSUS in small network

Hi,

I am responsible for a small business network (11 clients [all WinXP] and 1 server [Server 2008 Standard 32 bit]). I want to make sure all computers in the network are up to date on windows updates.

I have read about WSUS but understand it's not good to use on a DC. Most of the users will ignore updates and many are not even on XP SP3. I want to 'idiot' proof the network so updates are approved and then pushed out to the machines without the manual labor of monitoring each machine.

Is using WSUS on this setup really that bad? What are my options please?

Thanks!
    Allen

Re: Using WSUS in small network

Some thoughts on the interwebs about this topic:
    http://forums.techarena.in/active-directory/694013.htm (A Microsoft MVP says it's supported, but not necessarily a best practice)
    http://www.wsus.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=7411 (It shouldn't be an issue under normal circumstances, but using DC promo on a machine after IIS is installed can be a problem.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...zbA76E1T7GfxSw (to view the accepted answers, scroll all the way down past the filthy lies that say you must have a paid account to view them).

So, it seems that WSUS on a DC is generally okay, but some few peoples have had issues with it. However, the same could be said for virtually any software. Of course, SBS has WSUS on it, but SBS is "just different" as the SBS community is wont to say. Most importantly, it seems that the practice of WSUS on a DC is supported by Microsoft (or, at least that's what a MVP says). Do some Googling (like this) and see if it's a risk that you're willing to take. I think the "risk" is small, however it does at more complexity and might make backups a teensy bit more complex (with IIS backups and all). DC's are certainly nothing to take lightly. WSUS is a wonderful tool that can keep things standardized.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

What about backups would change that much? That would be my biggest sticking point I would suppose. (disaster recovery)

Comment

Originally posted by chakotay2 View Post
        What about backups would change that much? That would be my biggest sticking point I would suppose. (disaster recovery)
        This TechNet article explains it in minute detail. Some have questioned if it's really important to backup in the first place. The WSUS.info forums have some good information on it about all things WSUS. Maybe do some Googling (like this) and see if there's anything that I've missed.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

But if I am using Server backup and doing a full backup each night won't that take care of it?

I guess I wouldn't really care to much if I lost the WSUS part anyway... I plan to just use it to administer the updates and NOT download all updates to the server... bandwidth isn't an issue....

Not trying to argue , just don't quite get what the real downside would be in my scenerio.

Thanks for being patient with me...!

Allen

Comment

The downloaded WSUS update file or rather, the files downloaded by WSUS can be saved to a small HDD and if the Server gets trashed, you reinstall WSUS, copy the saved (and previously downloaded file) back into the WSUS structure. You then resync with MS WSUS and WSUS finds the copied back files and incorporates them into the database without the need to download them all again.

I hope that makes enough sense to understand it.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I suppose a full backup will take care of it all. I was just thinking about if you wanted to back up the IIS portion of WSUS, but that's really not necessary... I think. IIS 6 is a bit cumbersome to backup with metadata and all. Personally, WSUS would be the least of my worries if a DC died.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

sounds good, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X