first 2008 server on network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first 2008 server on network

hey ppl, my network consists of mainly Windows Server 2003 with a few 2000 servers. Just wondering if I need to do any prep work before adding a 2008 server. Any help is appreciated.

J
    knowledge is power

Re: first 2008 server on network

Not if it's a member server. If it's a DC you need to perform:

/forestprep
    /domainprep
    /gpprep

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      Not if it's a member server. If it's a DC you need to perform:

/forestprep
      /domainprep
      /gpprep

thanks for your reply. Do I have to rerun those commands even though I ran them when I added the 2003 servers as DC's?
      knowledge is power

Comment

Yes, and you need to run them from the W2k8 DVD.
        This is because you are going to prepare the domain for a Windows 2008 environment.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Will the users experiance any issues if I do this live?
          from the prep command on the 2003 box to the install of AD on the 2008 new AD controller. my first upgrade.

thanks mst

Comment

No, your users won't experience any issues. You need to run /forestprep from the DC that holds the Schema Master role. To make it easier just run all the preps from the Schema Master DC.

Comment

Unless I'm daft (probable), you don't need to do anything special to the domain if the 2008 server is just a member. Only if a 2008 server is being promoted to a domain controller. techie211, are you planning on making this new 2008 server a domain controller or just a member server?
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

just another quick one:- would it matter if your domain is windows 2000 or windows 2003? would you be able to prep your windows 2000 domain without upgrading to a widnows 2003 domain?

Comment

I asked this question earlier, and the response I got ws it should be fine to go from 2000 to 2008, just run the Adprep from the 2008 DVD.

Also - if your server is a 64bit, make sure you have the 32bit version of Adprep, if you're running it on the 2003 server and it's only a 32 bit server..
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

ADPREP /forestprep should be run on your Schema Master

ADPREP /domainprep should be run on your Infrastructure Master

ADPREP /domainprep /gpprep should be run on your Infrastructure master

ADPREP /rodcprep (if required) I think this can be run from any of the FSMO holders

Comment

You can install a 2008 server into a Windows 2000 network but your environment has to be running 2000 Native mode.

Obviously you can't take advantage of RODCs until you leave 2000 Native mode as it relies on linked value replication which comes with 2003.

Comment

Working...
                      X