2008 Domain with Linux DNS: Your Views

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Domain with Linux DNS: Your Views

I want to implement a 2008 Domain, but currently my WAN/LAN uses Red Hat boxes for DHCP and DNS, My service provider assures me as long long as the correct entries are made the domain should work fine.

I'm skeptical, but a 2008 newbie, so I'd like to hear opinions about this, I am reading and trying to figure this out but a push in the right direction would go a far way for me.

btw I want to do folder redirection and startup scripts assigned by GPO.

Re: 2008 Domain with Linux DNS: Your Views

What implementation of DNS are the RedHat boxes running? I'm assuming an implementation that supports SRV records?

Comment

yes definitely, Redhat is running the latest version of Bind

Comment

You can use a different namspace for your AD and have forwarders between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
          You can use a different namspace for your AD and have forwarders between the two.
          I dont get what ur saying here...

Comment

Hi,

BIND servers do support SRV records (And Dynamic updates) and consequently Active Directory. MSDNS derives (Or is based on BIND).
            There is a few ways to do this I can think of. As Garen suggested use MSDNS for your Windows 2008 domain and configure Forwarders or Conditional forwarders for all the other queries to the BIND server (I'd preferr this one because I am lazy and is more secure because you can use AD integrated zones) or Configure BIND to support Active Directory: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...6373.aspx#EDAA
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

So, not sure if anyone is still watching this thread, however, I am in the boat where DNS and DHCP are handled by Linux. We have Samba, OpenLdap etc. We are in a situation that dictates we at least start moving to AD. We would like definitely to keep our DNS intact and possibly the OpenLdap. That being said, I have set up our first 08 box and I am a newb when it comes to 08, so, what do I need to do to get the Linux DNS to work with MSDNS?? I assume that I need to allow the MS box to query the Linux box and get it's DNS info from it. (Oh and we have both an internal and external DNS box.)

So conceptually aside, I need some nuts and bolts of how it needs to work. If anyone could help or point me to an article, I would greatly appreciate it!! Thank in advance!

-Padraic

Comment

We have the same setup here at work. Our DNS servers are hosted on bind. What I ended up doing is:

1. Setup your active directory domain /w DNS (I prefer AD integrated DNS model).
                2. In your MS-DNS setup, set it's forwarders to your linux bind DNS
                3. Set all your windows clients connecting to your AD and your Win Servers to use the MS-DNS.

the idea is here:

win_clients -- query dns --> ms dns -- msdns forwards to linux dns --> linux bind

So what you are doing is creating a DNS system that is specifically for your windows environment and all your clients will query your MS-DNS when it needs to find services that specific to your windows domain. The forwarding setup will be when your clients query something outside of your MS-DNS (like google.com or whatever your linux BIND dns is hosting).

The two can co exist peacefully.

you can if you like unite everything under one DNS system if you like. As people have stated later versions of bind support SRV. However, the above setup is easy and works just fine.

Comment

Yeah, that is what I was planning, however, I've just done some testing and figured out that it is not my end, i.e. Windows 08. I found out that BIND was not setup properly for zone transfers!! Will post back if I need more help, but, I do appreciate the reply!

Comment

Roguecoolman,
                    Wanted to pick your brain about your setup. I've got the DNS forwarding from my linux DNS to my MS AD DC box as a secondary zone, with no problems.
                    So, couple of questions:
                    1. Are you integrating OpenLDAP with AD for authentication?
                    2. If not, did you use the ADMT tool to port over the information? (Am I barking up the wrong tree?)
                    3. Did you use anything like Fedora's directory server (389)?

Unrelated -
                    1. So, I would like to join my new domain, however, when I try to do this, it is telling me that "A domain controller for the domain "<domainname>.local could not be contacted". What am I doing wrong? Do I need to join a workgroup first and then try my new AD domain?

I feel so hopelessly lost right now....any help would be, well, helpful!! Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                    X