"Cannot get information about you hard disks"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Cannot get information about you hard disks"

I would like to start testing Windows 2008 so I tried booting up a vanilla box with the 2008 DVD and it gave me the error:

"Cannot get information about you hard disks"

The box is a mixture of test hardware consisting of one SATA HDD which is seen by the BIOS. No matter what I tried I could not get Windows 2008 to install.

I thus installed Windows 2003 Server and then put in the Windows 2008 DVD and successfully upgrade the box.

My question is why did the Windows 2008 DVD not recognise my SATA HDD when trying to do a fresh install from the boot DVD?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: "Cannot get information about you hard disks"

probably you need to load some drivers.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

For standard SATA ports??

If 2003 loads OK from a DVD boot then I would have thought 2008 would have the drivers preloaded!

Anyone know why this happens?
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

It could be related to the AHCI drivers.
        Try changing it in BIOS to Compatibility mode (Enable IDE Emulator), or alternativelly install the AHCI drivers by pressing F6 during installation.

Ta
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I can't see that being the issue. if 2003 loads OK then I would have expected 2008 to load just as good. And there is NO F6 in 2008!
          |
          +-- JDMils
          |
          |

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
            I can't see that being the issue. if 2003 loads OK then I would have expected 2008 to load just as good.
            Methinks there has been some fundamental changes in the way device drivers are presented in the setup process that would make things behave differently like what you are experiencing.

And there is NO F6 in 2008!
            It's been wizardized. There's a simple option to load drivers when the setup program has loaded.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I can't see that being the issue. if 2003 loads OK then I would have expected 2008 to load just as good.
              Acer Alto 330 takes Server 2003 without a hiccup. It refuses to install Server 2008 and there is NO driver fix for it so, I can see that as being the issue.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Acer Alto 330 ....
                2008 probably has issues because no one thought to write new drivers for the hand-crank on that Acer. Maybe if you push it down a hill, put it in second, and pop the clutch...

Did you mean the G330? If not, then I give you my hat and coat for trying to install 2008 on the non-G 330.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                -------------------------------
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                  2008 probably has issues because no one thought to write new drivers for the hand-crank on that Acer. Maybe if you push it down a hill, put it in second, and pop the clutch...

Did you mean the G330? If not, then I give you my hat and coat for trying to install 2008 on the non-G 330.
                  Thought I missed a letter. It installs just fine on the G330 Mk2 though as does SBS 2008 ). Just love that Mk2 Server!! Cheap and reliable.

Thanks for picking up my omission.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

FYI, I had to re-install Win2K8 on the same box so I put the Win2K8 DVD in and the box booted off the DVD and the OS loaded onto the box without an issue.

Maybe, the first time I tried it, the HDD was not in a state which Win2K8 liked and thus would not recognise it?
                    |
                    +-- JDMils
                    |
                    |

Comment

Working...
                    X