Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figuring out move to Windows 2008 AD

Hi folks.

First post to the forums so here goes...

We have a single-site domain with 2 DC's - both of which are 2000 AD based. In fact we have only two 2003 servers which we use for applications. We have another 4 which are also 2000 based servers for various functions which are due (hardware-wise) to be retired. So that's hopefully where the forum answers will point me in the right direction. Here are my goals:

1. Develop a strategy to move to 2008 AD
      • Assemble guideline as to why, hardware required and of course cost.

2. Best practice for AD servers
      • Currently there is some file and printer sharing on one of the DC's which I would like to avoid when we migrate
      • Additionally there is one application which is on the other DC which is a file share (no sql database or anything - just flat files) for finance forecasting.
      • I have read some docs which do not recommend having additional apps or functions on the Domain Controllers - I am agreement here but my manager needs further convincing (accountant not IT/network/server education or experience)

3. Licensing - I always get confused by the licensing details. What kind of CALs will I need or will I even need to upgrade them?

Thanks for any and all answers. I appreciate them.

--james

Re: Figuring out move to Windows 2008 AD

Hi,

Is this info in here any good?: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...rade-2000.aspx

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
    X