Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote site name lookup (was: Dns)

Hello All
    Our office network is connected to the USA via a cisco router and i have just added a dns server to my site.

Is it possible to add the remote site name to my dns server rather than adding it via wins on each and every PC.

Re: Dns

Is the remote site part of your organisation or are they your service provider?
    Also note that WINS resolves netbios names and DNS resolves host names. You could integrate the two though by configuring your DNS server to forward resolution requests to your WINS server.
    Just need more info on your current setup and what you are trying to achieve.

Cheers
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

ah sorry yes ok

are sites are linked with a Cisco VPN Tunnel.
      normally we access a website from the remote site by adding the entry into wins on each windows PC

now i have put a dns server in place i was wondering if i could set the address to point to a IP address but as DNS resolves hosts i fail to see this will be possible

Thanks anyway

Comment

Originally posted by ZR_Seanie View Post
        ah sorry yes ok

are sites are linked with a Cisco VPN Tunnel.
        normally we access a website from the remote site by adding the entry into wins on each windows PC

now i have put a dns server in place i was wondering if i could set the address to point to a IP address but as DNS resolves hosts i fail to see this will be possible

Thanks anyway
        L4ndy's post is valid then, now you have provided the information he needed.

The DNS server can be used to forward requests to the Wins server.

This is known as 'Wins Lookup'.
        Last edited by Virtual; 13th March 2009, 09:42.

Comment

Choose a better topic for your thread!

ZR_Seanie, please make sure you pick a better topic for your next thread. Failing to do so will result in your account being suspended for 2 weeks.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
          X