Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to add a shared folder as a cluster disk in win 2008 failover cluster

Dear Techies,

I am new to the failover/clustering concepts.

I has 2 servers win 2008 ent with sp1, now I want to install sql 2005 in a 2 node cluster environment, I started through and stucked in the storage configuration, since we dont have san in our environment I want to use a shared folder in my file server as a cluster disk, is their any chance to do like this if not what are the alternativies I can consider except SAN.

hope you understand the scenario,

thanks in advance for your support

Regards,
    Gowtham

Re: how to add a shared folder as a cluster disk in win 2008 failover cluster

Have you considered this as a solution to convert your file storage in to a SAN.

http://www.nimbusdata.com/products/mysan.php

Comment

This is not full version, any other solutions please.

Comment

hi Virtual,

thanks for your immediate reply.

As per you suggestion i downloaded MYSan tool and installed in one windows 2003 pc, and just i add one of the partition of my external hard disk and i give access to particular node by selecting host name of the node.

And i tried to access that iscsi drive on windows 2008 iscsi initiator. i tried to add my windows ip address on iscsi initiator Discovery Tab, but it giving Authentication Failed. can you give some detailed information about this iscsi initiator configuration.

i think you know my requirment, just i want to add share folder as shared disk for windows 2008 cluster.

Comment

I have just looked at the requirments and it seems w2k8 is not compatible for hosting the 'mysan'. I am unsure whether the same applies to the iSCSI initiator coming from a w2k8 machine.

http://www.nimbusdata.com/products/mysan_reqs.php

It sounds to me you have set it up correctly. Have you checked the NTFS permissions on the iSCSI LUN ? (partition on the w2k3 server)

Comment

Dear virtual & all,

thanks for your immediate reply,

let me explain briefly about my scenario, i have created one test environment with windows 2k3 active directory and node1 and node2 is in windows 2k8. just i configured these 3 OS's on my own VMware 6.0 environment.

i hope you know my requirement, i want to configure MSSQL 2005 on W2k8 fail over cluster. for that first i have to configure w2k8 fail over clustering between node1 and node2. i cant not maintain SAN in virtual environment, so i am using free space in my Laptop by converting image file using starwind tool. by using this starwind tool i am converting these images as a iscsi drives and i am accessing these iscsi drives on win 2k8 nodes by using starport driver. i can see these iscsi drives on my nodes Disk managment. i hope everything is going well upto now.

when i make validation tests, everything is going well expect storage tests. i dont know what was reson behind these storage test fail. and also after creating cluster i am trying to add disks on storage tab but no use. it is giving NO POSSIBLE DRIVES ARE INTALLED. can any of you help to take out this issue. And give sum information about the configuration of windows 2k8 fail over clustering on vmware6.0 and if possible for SOL 2005 configuration on w2k8 fail over cluster too.

i hope you understand my problem. any immediate help will be highly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

cheers,
            gowtham.

Comment

Working...
            X