Test server on home network - AD / DNS /

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test server on home network - AD / DNS /

Hi, first post here, a Server Newbie trying to teach himself a few things about WS2008.

I have installed Server 2008 on a spare partition to use as a test bed. Note, this is on my home machine. Server has a static IP address outside the DHCP scope of my router (but on the same subnet).

I have a Netgear ADSL Wireless gateway for net access, and have installed and configured the wireless services on the 2008 box. The server can access the net no problem.

On promoting the server to a PDC and installing DNS, I am getting massive delays on rebooting the box, approx 15 minutes before it gets to the logon screen.

Checking the event viewer, I see the following errors:
    Error 4013 - "The DNS server is waiting for Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) to signal that the initial synchronization of the directory has been completed. "
    There's also a mention that the Disc Write Cache could not be disabled ( I can't recall the error number), although I don't believe that would cause these delays.

I do suspect this is a DNS issue as I am hopeless at configuring DNS. I can ping the server's FQDN, so it does seem to be resolving that.

Is it a problem because I have not configured any DNS forwarding to either my ADSL router or my ISP's DNS servers? If that was the case, how am I able to browse the web etc.

Apologies if this is not enough for you guys to go on, but I am a complete beginner with this.

Re: Test server on home network - AD / DNS /

Have a look at this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc735842.aspx
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
    X