[newbie] disable password complexity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [newbie] disable password complexity

I would like to disable password complexity on the domain (because it's a test environment and I'm not worried about security).

1. I've checked Group Policy Management and the default domain policy for complexity is disabled:

Computer Configuration > Policies > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Password Policy > Password must meet complexity requirements

2. Within Account Policies > Password Policy > Password must meet complexity requirements is disabled as well.

However when I try to change the password, I get the following error:
    Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity or history requirements of the domain.

Windows 2008 Server

Re: [newbie] disable password complexity

Originally posted by jon80 View Post

However when I try to change the password, I get the following error:
    Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity or history requirements of the domain.

Windows 2008 Server

It looks as if there are some settings on your password policy that still apply. Take a look at the 'password history', 'minimum password age' and the 'minimum password length' settings. Ther are above the setting you have disabled.

Also, double check that you are not using a PSO policy.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc770842.aspx

Comment

Have you ran Gpupdate /force?

Comment

Try RSOP to determine what policies are applied for the affected user.
        That includes identifying any possible PSO policies Virtual mentioned in his post.

Cheers
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

And if you wanted to change this in a non-domain environment, I assume you would simply modify the local system policy ?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            And if you wanted to change this in a non-domain environment, I assume you would simply modify the local system policy ?
            Yes, that is correct.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I went away and tried to do it anyway and it worked.. i only just cheked back now

thanks for your response though
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
              X