Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Desktop Icons via GPO?

Hi guys,

I am currently playing around with server 2k8 and its policy's. I like the Computer, Network and Tray Icons on my desktops. I found the setting in Administrative Templates -> Desktop, but it seems the setting does only work on XP machines, since the Entrys are Named like the XP Icons (german version). Am I missing something to make the Icons happening in Vista?

greets,
    Tobias

Re: Vista Desktop Icons via GPO?

Originally posted by plvoy View Post
    Hi guys,

I am currently playing around with server 2k8 and its policy's. I like the Computer, Network and Tray Icons on my desktops. I found the setting in Administrative Templates -> Desktop, but it seems the setting does only work on XP machines, since the Entrys are Named like the XP Icons (german version). Am I missing something to make the Icons happening in Vista?

greets,
    Tobias
    The only GPO I'm aware of controls whether or not to hide these icons and afaik disabling the GPO doesn't turn them on.

Code:
    User Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Desktop:
    Hide and disable all items on the desktop  : Disabled
    Remove Computer icon on the desktop        : Disabled
    Remove My Documents icon on the desktop    : Disabled
    Hide Network Locations icon on desktop	   : Disabled
    Remove Recycle Bin icon from desktop       : Disabled
    Try disabling the GPO first and if it doesn't work you can import the registry information below to turn them on using a logon script...

[Edit]
    After testing this myself I found it doesn't work. I edited my policy, set the items mentioned to disabled and then ran gpupdate /force and finally refreshed my desktop. The icons didn't show and the menu where you turn this on and off manually had the checkboxes unchecked. When adding the registry keys and refreshing the desktop the icons appear immediately and the manual menu shows them as checked. I haven't rebooted to make 100% sure but it looks like the policy won't do what you want.
    [/Edit]

I searched MSDN/Technet but this seems to be undocumented. So you may only find this here.
    I figured this out using magic.

Here goes nothing...

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]
    "{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
    "{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000
    "{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}"=dword:00000000
    "{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}"=dword:00000000
    "{5399E694-6CE5-4D6C-8FCE-1D8870FDCBA0}"=dword:00000000
    And these GUIDs mean what?
    See below...
    Code:
    "{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}" = Computer
    "{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}" = Documents
    "{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}" = Network
    "{5399E694-6CE5-4D6C-8FCE-1D8870FDCBA0}" = Control Panel
    Last edited by ahinson; 27th February 2009, 17:02.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

thanks a lot, that did the trick, why does MS not stick to their own standards and one has to come up with custom gpo's and stuff ... just bugs me...

by the way, any idea on how to lock down explorer views? my vista keeps fooling around my views, switches to list view instead of detailed view, looses the size column and stuff...
      Last edited by plvoy; 25th February 2009, 16:16.

Comment

Originally posted by plvoy View Post
        thanks a lot, that did the trick, why does MS not stick to their own standards and one has to come up with custom gpo's and stuff ... just bugs me...

by the way, any idea on how to lock down explorer views? my vista keeps fooling around my views, switches to list view instead of detailed view, looses the size column and stuff...
        This was one of the chief complaints about Vista when it was first released. I believe there are registry keys that can make it stop trying to auto-detect and change the view.

It doesn't bother me that much but to some it's really annoying...

This gives steps on how to make it stop.
        http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70...-settings.html
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X