Server 2008 STD & VPN Sites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 STD & VPN Sites

Hi All, looking for a little guidance on this setup....

7 Sites, all connected via Hardware VPN

I would like to use 1 domain across all sites, But sometimes if a local machine doesnt find its DC it will log onto another one over the VPN
    Am I better using a Subdomain for each remote site?

Also want to have roaming profiles, are these best stored in a Namespace??

Also All workstations are XP, slow to log on, have change to SMB1, but not much help, have removed all logon scripts too, still anywhere from 3 to 20 mins to desktop

Currently have 2008 Std with 4 Gig RAM 32 Bit, are we better going 64 Bit & 6 or 8 Gig RAM?? (Approx 20-40 PC's at each site)

THanks to all

Re: Server 2008 STD & VPN Sites

Are your physical site's DCs mapped as different sites in 'AD Sites and Services'? If not, that is possibly your key problem.

I get the impression that you have 1 DC per site (correct me if it is two) Should you make the other sites sub-domains, it will create more administrative overhead and won't give you redundancy.

I would say the slowness could be caused by machines being authenticated by a DC on another site, so the downloading of GPOs is making the logon slow.

Your current hardware is more than adequate for the number of PCs using the DCs.

Look in to the AD Sites and Services config. and report back

Comment

Hi,

It's a bit unclear on your post how your current set up is?
      Have you got a DC on every site? also what's your DNS server distribution like?
      Are AD sites and Sites links configured? What user profiles are using at the moment?
      Spec wise the DC you mention should be OK.
      Either solution could work but I'd rather go for a single domain as it's more managable.

Ta
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Yes 1 DC per site

I'll have a look at the sites setup and get back to you, sounds like it might be the root of all problems!

Thanks

Comment

Thanks Guys

We have checked Sites, And There was nothing apart from Default

So We have set up each site and matching subnets

We still have slow log ons...

Could it be DNS related?

Comment

Originally posted by Bart586 View Post
            Thanks Guys

We have checked Sites, And There was nothing apart from Default

So We have set up each site and matching subnets

We still have slow log ons...

Could it be DNS related?
            As the users logon, do any messages appear? It may be worth looking at the Group Policies that are running and make sure they are relevant to the PCs still. e.g Any logon scripts running for old shares or software.

Also, look at disabling the Computer/User part as appropriate and look at using permissions to ensure a PC and user only processes GPOs relevant to them.

Another thought, are your FSMO role holders for the child domains physically present at each site and do you have a GC at each site and of course DNS?
            Last edited by Virtual; 3rd March 2009, 14:47. Reason: Added section to bottom of post

Comment

No Messages....

Each site is GC With DNS

We'll check the role Holders

Seen some issues with Certain NIC's do you think this could be a problem, maybe changing to a better one?

Thanks

Comment

Are each of your sites on there own subnet??? I would imagine so if you have hardware VPN's.

Is each site associated with said IP range???

What are the DNS settings on your clients in each site???

Comment

Working...
                X