No announcement yet.

Time Synchronizartion

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Synchronizartion

Please I have one domain controller running on windows 2008 SP1. i need to configure external time provider. But I cannot set it. I have tryed to use this commands:

w32tm /config /,0x8 /syncfromflags:manual /update
    net stop w32time
    net start w32time

w32tm /resync

Sending resync command to local computer
    The computer did not resync because no time data was available.

After command NET TIME /QUERYSNTP i got,0x8

After NET TIME i got answer:

Current time at \\DC1 is 19.2.2009 12:06:54

How I can configure external time source correctly? I have in system logs event ID 12:

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Time-Service
    Date: 19.2.2009 11:56:39
    Event ID: 12
    Task Category: None
    Level: Warning
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: DC1.alz.lcl
    Time Provider NtpClient: This machine is configured to use the domain hierarchy to determine its time source, but it is the AD PDC emulator for the domain at the root of the forest, so there is no machine above it in the domain hierarchy to use as a time source. It is recommended that you either configure a reliable time service in the root domain, or manually configure the AD PDC to synchronize with an external time source. Otherwise, this machine will function as the authoritative time source in the domain hierarchy. If an external time source is not configured or used for this computer, you may choose to disable the NtpClient.

Re: Time Synchronizartion

I would try a different time server since the one you've chosen is a restricted access time server. Also, the event log entry is perfectly normal for a DC acting as the authorative time source for the domain.

I dont understand. I have downloaded SNTP client tool and time server is fully functional. Not restricted. I just cannot change sync for domain controller.

I don't understand what you understand. Two things:

1. What has an SNTP client tool have to do with w32time on your DC? They don't have anything to do with each other.

2. If you check the server's access policy at you will see that it's access policy is Restricted Access. I'm only saying to you that you should try a different time server to see if it solves the problem. What do you have to lose if it's not working now? Try using and see what happens.