Windows Server 2008 Migration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2008 Migration

I recently started at a company that is in desperate need of an infrastructure overhaul. To my amazement, what I walked into is this...

1) Two NT4 servers (a PDC and a BDC) in a NT4 domain.
    2) One W2K server functioning solely as a DNS and DHCP server.
    3) One Win2003 server running IIS for the Intranet.

My goal(s)...

1) Purchase two new servers to replace the PDC and BDC above. The new servers will have Windows Server 2008 along with AD. The primary will also absorb the DNS and DHCP roles.
    2) The NT4 PDC will simply become an NT4 member server and used as storage.
    2) Keep the Win2003 server with IIS intact.

There's quite a few things that concerns me...

1) I want to create an entirely new domain. I'm assuming the best way to approach this is to create the new domain on the new server environment from the ground-up, test it, and run it side-by-side the old existing domain until full transition...?
    2) I see a few migration tools for W2K Server and Win2003 server to Windows Server 2008 but limited options for NT4 (as expected). Do you recommend any migration tools for this scenario? I'm mainly concerned about the user profiles. However, this is a fairly small company and if I have to do it manually, that's okay (and may be better since I'm starting fresh).
    3) Speaking of migration tools, is it feasible to migrate DNS information from the old domain (since it will be a different name)?
    3) Since I would like to start a new domain, I would like to run it in native mode rather than mixed mode. Can I do this while having an NT4 member server (not a domain controller)? It it easy to convert from mixed mode to native later on?
    4) Will I'll be able to use DFS to data on the member NT4 server (until data transfer to the new environment is complete)?

Any other hints/tips/shortcuts?

Sorry, I know it's a bit much here but any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Windows Server 2008 Migration

Originally posted by brett8869 View Post
    1) Purchase two new servers to replace the PDC and BDC above. The new servers will have Windows Server 2008 along with AD. The primary will also absorb the DNS and DHCP roles.
    I recommend that you setup DNS and DHCP on both DCs and make them both GCs. Otherwise you won't really have any redundancy there.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
    X