Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate to fully-qualified domain name

Hi,

I am currently installing Exchange 2007 on an Enterprise 2008 server.
    Hub transport role is advising to Migrate to fully-qualified domain name as this comuter belongs to a single labeled dns domain.

I have added this server to my existing domain.

Anyone who can help me out?

thanks,

Boris

Re: Migrate to fully-qualified domain name

A search for "migrate to new domain" on Google...

I would recommend you do not use a tld that is 'valid' on the internet such as com. I would also advise against using local as that is used by default by some operating systems.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Have you seen this?
      http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...15/448140.aspx
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I did a few single label domain renames by using RENDOM. Hard, dangerous, but I got a 100% success rate.

http://www.google.com/search?q=rendom
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hello,
          I'm in the same stage of migrating exchange 5.5 > 2003 > 2007. I have successuly migrated all the mailboxes to the Exchange 2003. But now the thing has change since MS policy of Exchange 2007 require to be FQDN rather than SLD domain.

The only option I have is either I have to rename our current SLD domain to a FQDN and then start migrating the exchange to 2007 or I have to build a new forest with FQDN name, build a trust between old SLD and new FQDN, install exchange 2007 on the new FQDN forest and start migrating the users and mailboxes.

Microsoft is reviewing their policy regarding this matter, and now the Exchange 2007 is supported on SLD domain. If you want to rename your domain only because of exchange 2007, I think you have to wait till Microsoft release a new thing regarding this. In addition, MSExchageTeam, they are not recommending to install Exchange 2007 SP1 on an SLD domain.

In my opinion, since Microsoft working on this to change their application deployment scenario I'm sure the next release of their exchange, SQL, blah blah application will not be supported or "Recommended" to be installed on SLD domain.

hope it helps
          ================================
          HND: Higher National Diploma in
          Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
          MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
          Done:VMware DSA
          ================================[/COLOR]

Comment

So I don't get it. You're saying MS is supporting SLDs for Ex2007? And then you're saying one should wait? I don't get it. Where does it say that MS is supporting SLDs for Ex2007?
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

EDIT 9/22/2008: The support policy for installing Exchange Server 2007 in an SLD environment has changed, and is now supported. Please go here and read it for follow-up on this situation.
              Single-label Domain Names and Exchange Server 2007 SP1

Also, I have got a clear confirmation from Mr. Edack his a Product Manager of Exchange Server Technology on my company email. That, they are reviwing the policy of Exchange 2007 Support on SLD Domain. But again, it's not recommended.

Br,
              Habibalby
              ================================
              HND: Higher National Diploma in
              Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
              MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
              Done:VMware DSA
              ================================[/COLOR]

Comment

Great, thanks for the info.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                X