RDP to console not wanted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDP to console not wanted

It seems that when I RDP to a 2008 server (not core only) that I always RDP to the console and kick out the person logged in locally. This seems like a simple thing to fix, but all my searches on 2008 all seem to have to do with the core and not the regular full GUI install. This seems so simple, but I just cant seem to find anything on it.

Thanks in advance.

Re: RDP to console not wanted

How are you invoking the remote desktop connection? Is it simply by manually running mstsc.exe (either from the cmd line, run box, or double-clicking it's icon)? Or is it from a pre-made .rdp file? As long as the /console (for RDC Clients priot to version 6.1) or /admin (for RDC Client 6.1 and later) option isn't used when invoking the terminal services client you shouldn't have any issues with this. Which version of the remote desktop client are you using? 5 or 6.1?
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I have tried version 5 and 6.1. I am going to the start menu and then the RDP icon. I have not tried it from start run or the command prompt.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by penguinview View Post
        I am going to the start menu and then the RDP icon.
        Sorry to be pedantic, but the "RDP Icon" that you're using, is it the Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> Remote Desktop Connection icon? When you say "RDP icon" I think of a pre-made .rdp file that connects straightway to a computer and not the "Remote Desktop Connection.exe" program. That leads me to wonder if the premade .rdp file has the /admin switch included in it. Try going to start >> run >> mstsc and then connect to the server in question. See if you bump out the interactive session.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

In Win2008 there is no CONSOLE session, like there was in 2003.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
            In Win2008 there is no CONSOLE session, like there was in 2003.
            I believe it's now /admin for the equivalent functionality?
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

No.

Unlike Win2003 where there was a SESSION 0 for the console (to which you connect using either /ADMIN or /CONSOLE, depending on your RDP client version) and 2 additional possible sessions, in Win2008 there are ONLY the 2 other possible sessions, and SESSION 0 is no longer an option. Even when logging on to the actual server console, you're not using SESSION 0 anymore.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Argh!

I misunderstood the new RDC limitations and features. Techtopia's wiki entry for Server 2008 Remote Administration helped to straighten me out. As to the /admin switch's behavior, this is a good article (that also encompasses much more than just the /admin switch):

Originally posted by http://blogs.msdn.com/ts/archive/2007/12/17/changes-to-remote-administration-in-windows-server-2008.aspx
                You can start the RDC 6.1 client (mstsc.exe) with the /admin switch to remotely administer a Windows Server 2008-based server (with or without Terminal Server installed). However, if you are connecting to remotely administer a Windows Server 2008-based server that does not have the Terminal Server role service installed, you do not have to specify the /admin switch. (In this case, the same connection behavior occurs with or without the /admin switch.)
                penguinview, in other words what's happening is by design and can't be changed. You'll have to use separate accounts to log on remotely without kicking out the locally logged on "Administrator" account. No longer can you log in to a server using the same user account multiple times. That's seems to be a good idea since I no longer have to wonder which remote connection to disconnect when both of them are logged in as "Administrator". (the "shadow" command comes in useful at that point). However, having separate accounts for each administrator is considered a best practice anyway so consider it a Good Thing.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Sorry it took so long for me to reply.
                  Thanks for all the info everyone.

Comment

Working...
                  X